ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now keep in mind...that it is common sense, and I know if there wasnt a difference then there would have been no point in making both. I also know that TT's have MUCH more power potential. But my question is....I own a 91 non turbo 2seater 5 speed. Headers, full exhaust, intake with twin air filters, crank pulley, clutch, and lightwieght flywheel. I have rode in 2 TT's. One with upgraded ecu and exhaust, the other with the same only and air filter, bov, and nismo radiator. Now in bother TT's I noticed NO difference power wise until about midway through 3rd gear when the turbos finally spooled nicely. I guess what I am wondering is, is there any chance a NA with moderate modifications could keep pace with a stock TT. And please, not smart elick remarks, i havent had anything to compare to really. thanks

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Unless the TT is running terribly or the TT's driver sucks bad, there is no chance. Modded NA = 245 HP & 210 TQ, stock TT =300 HP & 283 TQ. The final drive ratio in the NA is shorter, but not nearly enough to compensate for the power and torque deficit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
well, I my self own '93 NA auto. But I do have previous experience in turbos and non-turbos. Not w/ z's but with mitsu's eclipses. I used to have '97 eclipse turbo 5 speed and my friend had same non turbo 5 sp. Let me tell ya, turbo and non turbo are night and day performance. Only reason I went w/ non turbo z is because of the maintence costs. Turbos, due to their power just isn't as reliable as non turbos. z's are very complicated cars and turbo even more complicated. well, I think that's more info then you want to know. NA's are different beasts compared to TT's. Sorry to say.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
^^agreed

and to answer your question in a nice way, no a n/a will not take a tt-i know from personal experiance

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It prob comes down to money. You could probably drop a ton of money onto an NA that will finally take stock TT. That would take a serious amount of mods and money to do but possible. Yet at the same time all that TT has to do is get a intake, Ecu, exhaust and its already got like an extra 100hp onto its stock for a whole lot less than you dropped into the NA.

Turns out to be really stupid to put that kind of money into a NA when you get more back from a TT at less cost.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
if you're going to mod a Z... don't mod a nonturbo, it's a waste of time, sell it and mod a TT then you're looking at some power

·
Registered
156 Posts
I did the TT swap to my '93 2+2 and holy crap, when the timing on the TT engine was corrected, it crushes the N/A. My neighbor bought a slicktop when he found out that the car I was selling was sold. Then one day I pulled up to him on a 4 lane road in the area and both hit it from about 45, he was toast and I didnt even have the timing correct at that time. by the way, for all you guys that are getting crappy gas mileage, make sure that your timing is set correctly. I had my retarded somewhat because of a high idle issue and got terrible gas mileage. (14-15mpg) When I reset the timing, I had a ton more horsepower and way better gas mileage (19-20mpg). The best of both worlds there.

'93 2+2 Ultra Red TT'd
'90 2+2 Black
'93 2+2 Black Sold
'90 2+2 Cherry Red all parted out

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
It may 'feel' just as fast but the times will be largely different. You are saving 250 lbs of weight over the turbo's but once to 30mph you are gone - in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
i'd say modded NA will keep up in first gear, but second gear the TT will pull away and keep pullin. WhtfairladyZ has a good modded NA, talked to him, he said he stays with TT's off the line, but higher speed they start pullin.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'd also say that the NA holding or having the edge is first gear or so doesn't hold true for those of us running the TT swapped Z's with the NA rear differential.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.