103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like to find out who has Turbo Tom Kits and where you might be getting
support. I didn't find out that Tom was killed in an auto accident until
August, 2005.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
i have one in my car but im having the same problem you are having i guess.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
That's not a turbo tom setup, I think that's the kit rayjay used to sell? The turbo tom kit had the turbo at the front with the carb closer to the firewall.

To the original poster, what kind of "support" are you looking for? He hasn't done the carb type setup is decades so even if he was alive, not sure what he'd do for you. I've worked on a couple and might be able to help..

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
What sort of support are you after, is your turbo engine not running right? Whats up with it, many here can help.

I didnt know he died either. I found this web site not too long ago http://www.turbotom.com/ and I was thinking of contacting him to ask about the engine set up below. A work of art.

And as Steve said your turbo looks like a Rayjay at least the plenum does.

Post Edited (Oct 21, 11:43pm)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts

That's turbo toms kit, the last one I worked on had a 3.1L stroker, 7.0:1 compression forged pistons, a 100HP port nitrous setup setup to turn off at 12PSi and ran ~24PSI of boost on race gas. Yea it was pretty fast! :)

Post Edited (Oct 22, 4:52pm)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right, steves280. Last time I called him about 3 yrs ago, he wasn't very enthusiastic about working on my 260 again. I had blown the Turbonetics turbo and Tom was really into turbo airplanes. My kit is the same as in steves280's picture, but not as nice and w/o nitrous. Tom built the engine with 7:1 forged pistons and "o" ringed head, water injection and adjustable boost.

I would like to find someone fairly close to Houston, Texas that knew something about turbocharging with a carb.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
The main deal is the carb MUST have the power valve externally ported to the manifold -after- the turbo. Many of these had the carb's replaced without this feature and you'll never get it to run right like that.

And you're right, Tom was really into turbo airplanes as I'm sure there is a LOT more money in them than doing turbo installs on 30 year old sports cars. When he was making these carbed kits (way before the ZX was introduced) they were real expencive, seems like they were $2500-3500 in 1970's dollars.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
:( ....I posted a question as to what my turbo was a while back and some people said it may be turbo tom's....I am really ignorant to what my previous owner put in my car and it makes me sad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.