ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at options for rebuilding my bad T3 turbo (stock T3 from 1981 280 ZXT). I'm getting some different opinions, so i'll ask for more for a consensus.

I want a little more horsepower, or engine efficiency without going to extra modifications. I will get an intercooler.

Do I stay with stock T3 and rebuild it, or go to a rebuilt T3/T4?

I've heard T3/T4 might lag a bit more than T3 at spool up but will get a little more boost.

I've been told stay with T3 and put on intercooler for about 50% more power.

I don't need real fast, I don't and won't race, but the 2nd childhood in me wouldn't mind a little more oomph, just in case I forget the adult grandpa that I am.

What I do want is efficiency and keep the gas mileage I'm getting (around 20-21 mpg average).

So folks; what's the best bang for the buck?

Ed & Jeanne's Zelda
1981 280 ZXT

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
We have done an intercooler, stand alone EFI setup, bigger injectors for a customer and it's a stock engine with the stock turbo. It's running 14PSI boost right now and pulls STRONG from 2500-5500. Past 5000 it's going past peak power and runs best shifting at 5000. He likes this bottom end power and quick spool up. The car is lots of fun to drive. I'm sure with a T3/T4 it would turn on better on the top end but would most likely have more lag. If you can live with the power peak being at 5000-5500 and like having more bottom end power, the stock T3 works fine.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
My calculations indicate a t3/To4e with 50 trim is best for L28.

Even w/o an IC at stock boost, you should do better.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The trix combination

Sounds like your looking for a mild upgrade that will not require a ton of match work. I do a GN compressor upgrade with no I/C and a max of 13psi. Your stock EFI should do a "OK" job of keeping up and lag will not be a issue. Thier is some more to the combination but its harder for me to explain on the forum. If your interested give me a call.

Alex C
Horsepower Sales
305-969-1895

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.