ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 83 280ZXT. I replaced the turbo about 4 months ago with a rebuilt. It was put on correctly & is on there tight. However, I have a problem.

The dash meter won't really go past the "0" mark, & I can't really feel the turbo "kick-in". I was wondering could I have a bad waste gate. If so, how in the world can I check it without taking that thing back out of the car.

Oh, & by the way, if you really,really rev the motor up & pop the clutch, the turbo meter will get to about 1-2 on the positive side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds like you have a bad waste gate actuator. I have hear of them seizing up before. make sure that it can move. i think there are two nuts and the actuator rod pin that keep it on. Take it off any make sure everthing moves and the diaphragm is in working order. Also check to make sure the waste gate linkage moves easily.
Good Luck,
Tim Deesen
71' 240ZT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, all you have to do is remove the rod by removing the retainer clip and the washer and slide the actuator rod off the wastegate lever-it's on the turbine housing. Then you can test the movement of the wastegate. Make sure it moves very freely with no friction or noise. Then, with the wastegate actuator is still bolted on the car, clamp some vise grips on the rod and push it toward the firewall to see if it moves. If you have access to an air supply it can be tested for actuation by hooking the air line to the vacuum fitting on the actuator and turning the regulator on the air supply to progressively higher pressures-it needs to have a gauge on it for acurate testing.
I recently drilled another hole in my actuator rod for hooking the wastegate to and this gave my car much better low end power. top end power is achceived as well, but detonation occurrs due to the higher pressure. If you do this make sure you don't run the car into detonation. The hole I drilled is maybe a little less than a half an inch away from the original hole toward the actuator-toward the front of the car. I had to relieve the rod on a grinder a little to mimick the flat spot that the wastegate needs for rotation.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: Turbo Problems on 83 model</b>

Just hook up an air compressor hose to the wastegate actuator. When you pump the air into it, you should see the wastegate arm opening. If you are not getting boost and the wastegate is not working, it is because it is stuck in the open position.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
All the above is excellent advice, but it all seems to assume that you don't feel the 'kick' of the turbo at 3K RPM. If you feel that, then maybe turbo is working fine but the guage isn't. If the window's down, you can also hear the high-pitched wheeee of the turbo spooling up. One last thought: your last turbo might have failed because the oil feel line is clogged. They aren't very big and apparently can plug easily. I note in Motorsports catalog that it voids the warranty for new turbos if you don't install a new oil feed line with it.
Good luck. Let us know what you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.