ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey 240Z Turbo and other turbo owners: Some of you are using different intakes and others uses the stock ones. So what are YOU doing to protect YOUR engine from over-boost situations? The stock pop-off valve is set at about 6.5-7 psi and installed at the rear of the intake. This item blows off boost in excess of 7 psi if the wastegate doesn't do it's job right. An adjustable po-valve used with a variable boost controller will allow my engine to boost higher than stock without the risk of overboost. This is different from a BOV installed on the intercooler piping which prevents compressor surge by dumping the boosted air charge if you let off the throttle during boost. So, it is safer to retain a pop-off valve and I ask again, how are you protecting your engine from overboosts. I ordered the HKS unit adjustable from 12-18 psi for this purpose. Shouldn't this suffice even if I only run 13 psi for a while? Thanks, Doug.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It's just a safety valve, like you said. Most of us don't run one and just cap off the stock one. The main causes of overboosting are loose vacuum lines and boost creep. Both can be solved by having the right equipment for the job and maintaining it. replace bad, old, cracked vacuum lines immediately. Inspect them often for deterioration. Turbos do blow a little oil, and that oil can loosen and soften your wastegate signal lines. A good boost gauge is also needed so you can monitor boost. Don't depend on the popoff valve too much and definitely don't use it to set your boost level instead of the wastegate. I just chose to spend my money elsewhere. It's the sustained running of higher than desired boost pressure that blow a motor. It's not that common for a boost "spike" in the 30 PSI range to blow a motor as long as you see it and get out of the throttle.
greg
71 240z

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.