1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
> Is there a difference between turbo and
> regular piston rings? I do know that the
> pistons themselves are different. Thanks in
> advance
I looked into this myself it turned out that the turbo rings had a chamfered edge on the top compression ring as apposed to the square sharp edge on the normal ring set.They also have a different end gap upon installation all this helps achieve the lower compression needed for the turbo.Hope any of this helped. JIM

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well, unfortunately rings do not determine your compression. Stroke, piston diameter, head gasket, chamber size, and deck height are the determining factors on compression. Different applications of the motor dictate the requirements of rings and their design. I am sure that things such as ring groove depth and thickness will change on a turbo piston from nissan. Usually the rings for a turbo motor will be heavier duty to withstand the greater cylinder pressures. To make a long story short, I have no idea what the difference is between the turbo rings vs non-turbo rings but I sure can talk about stuff!

·
Registered
256 Posts
the differenci in gaps between the Turbo rings and the n/a rings (I didnt knew there was) should be to be able to accommodate the Thermal expansion due to higher pressures and thus temperatures happening on the turbo engines.
The gap in the turbo is bigger, right?
If not, (which I doubt it) is is because the expansion rate of the chrome moly rings for the turbo is lower than the n/a units.
CarlosZXT

> Well, unfortunately rings do not determine
> your compression. Stroke, piston diameter,
> head gasket, chamber size, and deck height
> are the determining factors on compression.
> Different applications of the motor dictate
> the requirements of rings and their design.
> I am sure that things such as ring groove
> depth and thickness will change on a turbo
> piston from nissan. Usually the rings for a
> turbo motor will be heavier duty to
> withstand the greater cylinder pressures. To
> make a long story short, I have no idea what
> the difference is between the turbo rings vs
> non-turbo rings but I sure can talk about
> stuff!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.