ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not thaaat bad

Can someone explain to me why the myth of "IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO PUT A TURBO IN A N/A BLOCK OR WITH THE N/A FUEL INJECTION"
I dont get it.
It is possible, though the injectors will limit you and there are some other "little" differences, but the n/a L6 is not that delicate as some may picture it.
The rods are the same, the blocks have no big difference, the pistons are almost the same (except for the chromemoly rings and wider 1st ring and maybe but not sure piston top thickness)
Sure you will have to be sure of the CR your car currently has and be carefull about fuel requirements.
(the n/a f.i. z-zx can be tuned with turbo injectors)

and YES, the turbo manifold will fit you Z

CarlosZXT

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: Not thaaat bad

CarlosZXT wrote:
-------------------------------
Can someone explain to me why the myth of "IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO PUT A TURBO IN A N/A BLOCK OR WITH THE N/A FUEL INJECTION"
I dont get it.
It is possible, though the injectors will limit you and there are some other "little" differences, but the n/a L6 is not that delicate as some may picture it.
The rods are the same, the blocks have no big difference, the pistons are almost the same (except for the chromemoly rings and wider 1st ring and maybe but not sure piston top thickness)
Sure you will have to be sure of the CR your car currently has and be carefull about fuel requirements.
(the n/a f.i. z-zx can be tuned with turbo injectors)

and YES, the turbo manifold will fit you Z

CarlosZXT

Carlos,
I think the main problem is people who ask the question " what is a turbo and can I put one on my car?" should not be putting turbos on their car. It's bad enough to swap a complete system onto a car, but to expect an inexperienced person to mix and match parts on a conversion when they don't even know where to start is just asking for trouble. I do agree that people who think 5 PSI of boost on a normal 9 to 1 NA motor is going to cause the head to blow off are crazy. As long as they understand it takes more than finding an exhaust manifold with a turbo hung on it to throw on the car everybody should come out happy. Just one person's thought.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Do some research:I say B-A-D!

Agreed, people that don't do their homework shouldn't even consider doing this type of thing. I all to often have people ask me turbo related questions and I often answer back that they need to read up on how turbo systems work and how they are different from normally aspirated systems. Read all the FAQ you can find first and then come talk to us. It is too hard for us to have to go through and explain all the different theories and factors behind turbo systems. I would suggest anyone that is interested to go to a library or a bookstore and read up on it. Go online and search out sites that have turbo related information on it. I remember when I first got interested I was looking at a Grand National site.

My final opinion on putting a turbo on a NA engine is, it's not worth it.
Some Reasons why:
1. NA stock used rings are more likely to give out as in break and cause major problems. Can you say broken rings and FU cylinder walls!
2. Oil Pressure: Turbos Typically use higher oil pressure since the turbo need oil to lubricate. You would need a turbo oil pump.
3. You would need some sort of adjustable blow off valve to avoid over boosting.
4. Detonation control would be an issue. The ZXT heads are far better at detonation control. Not to mention they flow a **** of a lot better.
5. You will need new or different injectors to compensate for the added demand of fuel.
6. Turbo engine have different cam profiles to get the most out of a turbo engine. A NA cam would not be as well suited.
7. Knock sensor and ignition control are IMHO much better with the ZXT ECCS computer system. ZXTs use a crank angle sensor system, less moving parts.
8. ZXTurbo systems utilize bigger better flowing Air Flow Meter, Throttle Body, Injectors, Intake Manifold(has larger TB opening and larger primary/seconadary tubes than NA)
9. Oil pan, not a big deal but something else that need to be plumbed along with the oil supply line.
10. You will like need to upgrade your fuel pump to meet the demand of your new system.
11. Well if you haven't given up at this point, just think how much it will cost to try to rig up your NA engine so that you don't blow it up??? Now think, there is still no guarentee that it won't blow up in the process of you attempting to get it right! Here's another thought, buy a complete used engine from a Pick and Pull for around $350 including all conceivable parts that you need from fuel pump to AFM to downpipe to relays. This of course is if you are willing to get your hands dirty. But I think if you sell your current engine and get a Turbo setup all together with, you will be a lot happier and will be less likely to blow up your engine in the quest for more power! And yes, I would take a Turbo over a NA any day of the week!
There's just nothing like the sound of a turbo spooling in the night, along side the comforting low rumble of the exhaust flowing through a 3 inch system :)
Yeah, I know, I am addicted now. Now anything that I own I want to have turbo charged :)

Hope this helps someone out there as to reasons why or why not to conver a NA engine.
Later,
Tim Deesen
71' 240ZT
CA "TS 240ZT"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.