ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
THE 83 ZXT IS BETTER IN A WAY BECAUSE IT HAD HYDRAULIC ROCKERS WHICH GO OUT OF ADJUSTMENT SLOWER THAN THE SOLID ROCKER 80 TO 82 MOTORS. THE 83 HAD A P90B HEAD VERS THE 80 TO 82 P90A HEADS.
STILL

·
Registered
69 Posts
Now I am confused, I have a newly aquired 83 XZT with P90a head manufactured 6/83. I posted a question earlier to see if this head had the Hydraulic lifter rockers. Responses indicated that this head did have Hydraulic lifter rockers. The engine is very quiet and I can only hear the injectors. Do the hydraulic lifter type need any valve adjustment?

·
Registered
694 Posts
80 to 82 has the P90 and 83 is the P90A (late 82 might have ended up with a P90A). The P90A has hydraulic lifters which do not require adjustment, but if they fail they are very hard to find and very costly.

Nigel

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi ZCar, guys-------------The first turbo engines were available in the '81 280ZX. This means that any '80 with a turbo was probably produced after about 9/80, and is actually considered an '81 model. The P-90a head made its appearance on the mid-year production '83 models. Some of the '83 cars have the P-90a with hydraulic lifters, and some don't. The '81 to mid-year '83 are fitted with the P-90, which has solid (adjustable) lifters.

There's a lot of talk about the hydraulic lifters collapsing under high rpm's, but given the L-28 turbo's power curve, it shouldn't be a problem. Most of the power with this engine is developed under 6,000 rpm anyway. If you're building an 8,000 rpm screamer, stick with the P-90 and the solid lifters.

The most critical disadvantage with the hydraulic lifters seems to be high replacement cost. But there was a recent post by someone that found them through carparts.com, I believe, for a fraction of the OEM price.

Roadman

·
Registered
506 Posts
Roadman and Nigel are correct, on the note of the carparts.com lifters for the P90-A I ordered just one to see if it was correct and for $7.40 I could afford to be wrong. I got a letter saying that they didn't have any and they canceled my order, but I was welcome to try again in 60 days. It's been 15 days. The supplier is JC Whitney BTW

Nick

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi Nick-------------You da man! I lost that post, and have been trying to find out who handled them since. Hopefully, JC will restock these. That price is unbeatable!

Roadman

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I think I am gonna try and get this car. It is a 80/81 so It should be fine for what I want it for. I should have no problems running 12 lbs on it right? thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.