Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you heard of a company call Turbodyne. The company claims their
device can eliminate turbo lag and also add up to 4.5 PSI of instant boost and on
non turbo cars it will increase power by 30%. Can one of you turbo guys or girls
check out their web site to see if it is bullshit or not.
thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> Have any of you heard of a company call
> Turbodyne. The company claims their
> device can eliminate turbo lag and also add
> up to 4.5 PSI of instant boost and on
> non turbo cars it will increase power by
> 30%. Can one of you turbo guys or girls
> check out their web site to see if it is
> bullshit or not.
> thanks.

Jessie,

I looked at the web site and it looks interesting. I would love to have alittle extra boost at the lower RPM range. I wonder how much a setup cost's??? I probably wouldn't use it on a non-turbo car but as a supplement to a turbo, it could work. It could be like the turbo setups on the Supra and RX-7, small one for low end, large one for top end.
If you find out any more info, post it.

Thanks

Russel 83ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it looks like it is not bullshit, but it is a supercharger or turbo operated by an electric motor. It only engages when you are at full throttle or in the case of a turbo, it would only engage during the time of turbo lag up to 4.5 PSI. So it just helps out, it is not a substitute of turbo. Soon as the turbo has more than 4.5 PSI, the turbodyne shuts off, it does not add 4.5 PSI to the output of the turbo. Your pop-valve would blow open anyway. In the N/A cars, it will only boost power at full throttle, so if you only give say 3/4 throttle to pass someone on the road, you wouldn't be using the turbodyne, just your normal power. It is not 30% power increase across the board, since it only runs at full throttle.

just my .02

LuZifer
'83 turbo project

> bullshit or not.
> thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Highly Skeptical

> bullshit or not.
> thanks.

The tech paper that I read at this site claimed that they had built a DC motor into the center section of a turbo, either by using a clutch system, or by integrating the motor right onto the turbo shaft. Okay, _maybe_ they can get a small dc motor that has enough power and speed capability to spin the compressor fast enough (say, 20,000 rpm) to make 4.5 psi at the turbo outlet at _idle_ (i.e., when you don't want or need extra air), but I'd be really surprised if they could maintain 4.5psi at WOT for any amount of time.

Yes, maybe the higher initial RPM of the turbo compressor would help spoolup, but I'd have to see a more convincing set of tests than what I read in that paper.

First off, notice that the with/without tests were made with the electric motor energized, and then with the electric motor not energized (most likely acting as a generator). A more informative test would have been to compare a standard turbo with the same type of turbo, equipped with their system. I don't think that you will find that they did that.

Also, there seemed to be alot of big words that didn't really mean anything, and that always pisses me off.

Finally, their concept of using the motor as a brake on the shaft to regulate boost pressure (in lieu of a wastegate) would be a very poor design choice. While it could work (assuming that the electric assist idea works in the first place), it would be regulating boost by _greatly_ increasing exhaust backpressure. By now, we all know what this means - less horsepower. You could limit boost by sticking a sock in the intake, too, but I don't see anybody rushing out to try that...

Oh - did I mention not seeing anything about the electric motor's surviveability? They were installing it in the turbo center section, right?

Caveat Emptor

·
Registered
85 Posts
Jessie looks like an interesting contraption that I would never spend my money on.
Yes I could imagine that it might assist the turbo in the bottom rpm's, but not anywhere else. What I am trying to say that it would only be an impedence to flow. For starters turbos require boost along with non-turbulent air flow to increase HP output. This unit will add boost during the lag period, but what is it going to do after that. It shuts off, so what is going to turn the impeller in that unit?????? Nothing------it is going to block airflow. And to top all of that if that unit is smaller than the turbo unit(stock or upgraded) than it will once again impede flow.

I would require that company to issue me a 100% money back guarantee if I was not satisfied that they would take it back. Buy it-----dyno it----- than give it back------ get your money back------- than laugh.............

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well, the concept seems plausible. In reading some of your responses I do not think you carefully looked over the setup. The unit blows into the turbo charger, but the turbocharger does not draw from the unit for air supply. The turbo is said to spin 40K rpm and maintain a constant boost pressure of 4psi, but more importantly only 20lb/hr of charge. This is not a whole lot of charge density, but would be a good booster until the turbo takes over. For stock turbo's which come on pretty fast this might not make too much of a difference, but for bigger turbo's it would seem to help. I wonder why they blow the unit into the turbo and not after the turbo. Your exhaust gas and turbine wheel are going to dictate your spoolup. I would think it to be more efficient if it was plumbed directly into the intake somehow. Personally, I would not buy one unless it was pretty **** cheap, but I would try to hook one up if someone gave it to me.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ok everyone I m in debate like all of u. But what I did was email them and this loc. and told them to see the questions on there products and tell us what it can do. And what it can do for the Z.
I know like me I would like more power and if I can get 4.5 psi at starting speed and then use my turbo at higher speed shoot I would go for it. but let them tell u about it can do not debat on it when u dont ask them.

Like all of u I dont know so I cant say if it will help or hurt the z.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
> Well, the concept seems plausible. In
> reading some of your responses I do not
> think you carefully looked over the setup.
> The unit blows into the turbo charger, but
> the turbocharger does not draw from the unit
> for air supply. The turbo is said to spin
> 40K rpm and maintain a constant boost
> pressure of 4psi, but more importantly only
> 20lb/hr of charge. This is not a whole lot
> of charge density, but would be a good
> booster until the turbo takes over. For
> stock turbo's which come on pretty fast this
> might not make too much of a difference, but
> for bigger turbo's it would seem to help. I
> wonder why they blow the unit into the turbo
> and not after the turbo. Your exhaust gas
> and turbine wheel are going to dictate your
> spoolup. I would think it to be more
> efficient if it was plumbed directly into
> the intake somehow. Personally, I would not
> buy one unless it was pretty **** cheap, but
> I would try to hook one up if someone gave
> it to me.

I thought I read that it goes after the turbo and before the intake. I think the idea has merit, but in actuality, I would agree that it would hurt performance after it shuts off. It generates energy, whether that energy goes into the intake as forced air or whether that energy is spent on slowing down incoming air from the turbo I couldn't say. Maybe after the 4.5 PSI cut-off is reached by the turbo the turbodyne spins freely, then there would be a minimal amount of loss. I just think the cost of the thing is not worth the 0.0000005 seconds that it saves on a quarter mile!! If there was an electric driven and exhaust driven bi-turbo design were the electric driven would be able to generate say 9 PSI instantly and the HUGE AXX turbo generated from 9 up to say 18 PSI, then I would think there would be some merit. Basically, I don't think the benefits out way the costs.

Oh well, gotta go.

LuZifer

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: twin turbo Supra

> Jessie,

> I looked at the web site and it looks
> interesting. I would love to have alittle
> extra boost at the lower RPM range. I wonder
> how much a setup cost's??? I probably
> wouldn't use it on a non-turbo car but as a
> supplement to a turbo, it could work. It
> could be like the turbo setups on the Supra
> and RX-7, small one for low end, large one
> for top end.
> If you find out any more info, post it.

> Thanks

> Russel 83ZXT

Russel, that's a myth about the Supra... it has twin turbos. they are the same size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.