ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding a turbocharged engine for my 240. I've got the engine torn down but I have one little problem. I need to how to set up the timing chain. The engine will be putting out (at max) 17 or 18 pounds of boost. I will more than likly keep it at 15. I rebuilt the engine in my 78 and advanced the timing (n/a). Can I do that on a turbocharged engine or should I leave the timing normal. If you need some more info please post me a message. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well Zack, I am sorry but I will try to help. You will need more help but form my knowledge of my turbo and the aspects of the car you will need to run about 20 degrees plus or minus 3 degrees before top dead center. This would mean advanced and would require the running of a detonation sensor to retard the ignition upon detonation. Yes you can play with the ignition a little in either direction, but that would depend upon turbo, ignittion system, fuel injectors and intercooler. You will need to give a little more info on these specific systems for additional help. As for myself I am running 15 lbs of boost, an Audi intercooler and stock ignition at 20 degrees BTDC in an 81 turbo. Everything varies but just listen to everyone else or just ask me again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i drive a 1983 280zx turbo that was dyno tested and made 354 horsepower at the wheels.iwould leave the cam timing at stock and get it reground for the turbo engine,my cam has 276 dur, intake and 282 dur,exhaust, both with 470 lift. just mess with that,and retard your ignition timing some,it will save your butt

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
come on guys

The timing chain sets your cam timing, not your ignition timing. Set up the timing chain normally. You will have adverse effects if you try to alter your cam timing when you don't know what you are doing. The timing you worry about for detonation is your ignition timing. Start conservatively with about 18 degrees total advance at 15 psi boost. Get the MSD 6btm box for turbos that will retard the timing per the boost.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: come on guys

> The timing chain sets your cam timing, not
> your ignition timing. Set up the timing
> chain normally. You will have adverse
> effects if you try to alter your cam timing
> when you don't know what you are doing. The
> timing you worry about for detonation is
> your ignition timing. Start conservatively
> with about 18 degrees total advance at 15

wow 240z - so altering my cam timing won't do anything - ARE YOU ON DRUGS?/ to whomever started this thread, start out with stock cam timing, then go from there. I have a 79 that has been turbocharged, and retarding the cam timing made all the diff in the world! As for the ignition timing, it all depends on the source of the spark. The stock inition is good, and you could get away with advancingabit for ore down low. My car uses a programmable ecu, and i run up to 30 degs advanced at high rpms - car runs flawlessly, and has ove 20k of hard miles since this upgrade - runs 20plus pounds of boost consistently froma hybrod t3/t4

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: come on guys

> The timing chain sets your cam timing, not
> your ignition timing. Set up the timing
> chain normally. You will have adverse
> effects if you try to alter your cam timing
> when you don't know what you are doing. The
> timing you worry about for detonation is
> your ignition timing. Start conservatively
> with about 18 degrees total advance at 15

wow 240z - so altering my cam timing won't do anything - ARE YOU ON DRUGS?/ to whomever started this thread, start out with stock cam timing, then go from there. I have a 79 that has been turbocharged, and retarding the cam timing made all the diff in the world! As for the ignition timing, it all depends on the source of the spark. The stock inition is good, and you could get away with advancingabit for ore down low. My car uses a programmable ecu, and i run up to 30 degs advanced at high rpms - car runs flawlessly, and has ove 20k of hard miles since this upgrade - runs 20plus pounds of boost consistently froma hybrod t3/t4

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Try reading!

I said, adverse effects if you DON'T know what you are doing. I never said it won't do anything! Unless you have a dyno, you will be hard pressed to know whether the changes you have made to cam timing have increased power unless you are starting with cam timing that is completely out of whack. For someone who does not know how to adjust the cam timing, it is a good recommendation to set it at the stock position, provided everything is correct. And there is no way in **** you are running 30 degrees total advance at high rpms and 20+psi boost. I run the Tech II and know what type of advance you can run at those levels. Try and read what I have written before you go on the attack and say, ARE YOU ON DRUGS?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.