ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a largere exhaust system put on my '83ZX Turbo before I re-do the intake. Yea I went and ordered a K&N RU-0900 (heard about it, had some money burning a hole in my pocket and figured ah, what the ****?) Anyway, if I do get a bigger exhaust system installed will this have any adverse effects on the turbo? I took the car into Midas to get some estimates and the tech said that he wasn't sure if it would effect the turbo or not, and he had also said that there wasn't enough room for a bigger exhaust (which I believe is bullsh*t).
So.... if you have done this (which I know many of you have) I could really use some advice.
Thankz

Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes Dave you have plenty of room. Don't goto Midas anyways. They are too expensive anyways. 3' exhaust is ideal for the stock turbo running extra boost and even a larger turbo. 3.5 is only needed when you start getting into those 60+ series turbos that some of these guys are running on the drag Z motors. Use a 3 Cat and muffler to tie it together. Oh yeah you will need to start from the back of the turbo and get rid of that restrictive cast downpipe from the factory. Try to find a muffler shop that will mandrel bend pipes compared to the old pinch-style bending.

For some reason people overlook the exhaust flows with turbos. Yes on a N/A motor backpressure is needed to help create HP. On a turbo motor you need flow. Just like they say with the intercooler that flow efficiency through the unit along with cooling helps to add HP this is the same with the exhaust. The exhaust gases flow to the impeller spinning it and then out the pipe; However, if flow is restricted by a small exhaust the gases will cause back pressure to the turbo causing reduced HP with another form of Turbo Lag. Also, if the gases flow efficiently they will not tend to remain within the turbo unit as long keeping the unit slightly cooler. Everything is about flow and flow is HP.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
81 turbo is correct. The addition of 3 mandrel bent downpipe and exhaust will add atleast 25 rear wheel horsepower to your car. This is provided you get away from chambered mufflers and use the straight thru kind. 3 should suffice if you do not plan on upgrading your turbo to some type of monster. You will decrease backpressure to the turbo, thereby increasing turbo spoolup. This also allows your motor to breath more easily. As far as letting the heat out of the turbo, that is not something that will help. Keeping the exhaust gases heated after leaving the engine is a plus. This helps to speed up the exhaust, contributing to spoolup and performance. This is why wrapping your downpipe and using turbo blanket is used in performance applications.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.