ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
CHECK THIS OUT ABOUT TURBO F/I

I believe that there is a different program between the manual and automatic computers. I have tried to talk to Jim Wolf about this, but he was less than helpful. Here is my hypothesis:

With an automatic, you step on the gas and the rpm's of the motor rise quickly due to the torque converter. Then, the boost comes on as the load on the engine increases.

With a manual trans, there is no slipping caused by torque converters, and the boost comes on quicker because the load on the engine builds up faster.

Now, relate this to a carburated engine. With the auto, you would need less accellerator pump than you would w/the manual trans.

F/I works the same way. I believe that the auto computer has less accellerator pump programed into it, and therefore will cause a lean condition upon initial accelleration.

Please, if I'm wrong, someone correct me. However, I have had this problem on my turbo 240Z when I used a manual trans and an automatic computer. It would go lean for a second, and then recover if you stay in it. Now, when it's lean, and on boost, it's going to detonate. This is bad, bad, bad!!! Trust me! My turbo 240Z's motor has lunched its rings because of lean detonation...
Comments, anyone???

Ian

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.