ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started pulling the engine out of my 81 ZX Turbo parts car today for transplant into my 83 non turbo when it dawned on me, this car is an automatic and my 83 is a 5 speed.

I allready know there's lots of components to change out between the two cars as they relate to the turbo, but what about the difference in transmissions?

Automatic isn't even in my vocabulary anymore, haven't messed with them in years, so didn't even think about it.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what changes need to be done to the turbo motor to mate it with my 5 speed?

Don't mean to sound too ignorant, but there's got to be more to it than just one has a clutch, the other doesn't. duuuh!

Appreciate any help in this area.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I will be doing the same thing soon-81turbo engine out of a coupe into my 83 2+2 nonturbo. From what I've come across, I'm planning on changing my current flywheel(83) onto the turbo engine & everything should bolt up fine-I get to keep my 5-speed manual tranny.

> I started pulling the engine out of my 81 ZX
> Turbo parts car today for transplant into my
> 83 non turbo when it dawned on me, this car
> is an automatic and my 83 is a 5 speed.

> I allready know there's lots of components
> to change out between the two cars as they
> relate to the turbo, but what about the
> difference in transmissions?

> Automatic isn't even in my vocabulary
> anymore, haven't messed with them in years,
> so didn't even think about it.

> Can anyone enlighten me as to what changes
> need to be done to the turbo motor to mate
> it with my 5 speed?

> Don't mean to sound too ignorant, but
> there's got to be more to it than just
> one has a clutch, the other
> doesn't. duuuh!

> Appreciate any help in this area.

·
Registered
57 Posts
> I will be doing the same thing soon-81turbo
> engine out of a coupe into my 83 2+2
> nonturbo. From what I've come across, I'm
> planning on changing my current flywheel(83)
> onto the turbo engine & everything
> should bolt up fine-I get to keep my 5-speed
> manual tranny.
Thanks Doug, I'll add it the list.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Thanks Doug, I'll add it the list.

Hey, wait a minute. If you put a turbo engine in a non-turbo car, don't you have to worry about the wiring harness being different? At the very least it must use the brain from the donor car, right?

·
Registered
57 Posts
> Hey, wait a minute. If you put a turbo
> engine in a non-turbo car, don't you have to
> worry about the wiring harness being
> different? At the very least it must use the
> brain from the donor car, right?

Yeah. Thats what I figure. Thats why I went looking for a complete parts car instead of just an engine.

My car's getting a full restoration right now anyway, so if I do run into wiring harness problems now is the easiest time to handle it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
CHECK THIS OUT ABOUT TURBO F/I

I believe that there is a different program between the manual and automatic computers. I have tried to talk to Jim Wolf about this, but he was less than helpful. Here is my hypothesis:

With an automatic, you step on the gas and the rpm's of the motor rise quickly due to the torque converter. Then, the boost comes on as the load on the engine increases.

With a manual trans, there is no slipping caused by torque converters, and the boost comes on quicker because the load on the engine builds up faster.

Now, relate this to a carburated engine. With the auto, you would need less accellerator pump than you would w/the manual trans.

F/I works the same way. I believe that the auto computer has less accellerator pump programed into it, and therefore will cause a lean condition upon initial accelleration.

Please, if I'm wrong, someone correct me. However, I have had this problem on my turbo 240Z when I used a manual trans and an automatic computer. It would go lean for a second, and then recover if you stay in it. Now, when it's lean, and on boost, it's going to detonate. This is bad, bad, bad!!! Trust me! My turbo 240Z's motor has lunched its rings because of lean detonation...
Comments, anyone???

Ian

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
>I have an 83 turbo, 5 speed that I have come to know and love. Besides all of the computer things related to the motor, likea zillion sensors, air flow, air temp etc. the only thing I have found in the shop manualabout an auto vs 5 speed is that t the 5 speed has a neutral position switch that feeds a signal to the computer. Maybe it's the same off / on signal from an auto in park. Also there are starter relays on the passenger kickwell that should be considered as different turbo vs non turbo.( they seem to be part of the input to the turbo computer as well.)

good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.