ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo dished vs NA dished pistons

650 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  zx-ae 
#1 ·
I wondering what the differance was. I gotta 83 turbo parts car and I have no clue what kind of shape the motor is in(its missing several parts) and I was thinking of going turbo and I have a good NA motor with dished pistons. If I was to put the head from my turbo motor onto my NA motor would it drop the compression ratio far enough to run a decent amount of boost? or would it kill the pistons/rings anyway?

Just trying to find a cheap and easy way to go turbo.

Justin T
80ZX

#2 ·
The n/a pistons have the same dish volume as the turbo units. The ring lands are further down from the deck on the turbo pistons. I've run a 70K mi. n/a block with a P90A head & turbo for several thousand miles and up to 15 psi with no problems. Use the head gasket specicfied for the year of the block you are using as there are minor differences in the water jackets from year to year. It isn't the generally accepted way to go,and alot of people will probably tell you it won't work, but if your fuel & timing are correct you should be ok.

#3 ·
i agree 100%...hondas are turboed everyday so why not a n/a z car????...im tired of hearing people say it wont hold up because i have done it and the n/a pistons are just as good...now if a person was a complete dumb ass and ran tons of boost with no fuel and alot of timing then a burned piston is gona happen!

#4 ·
Thats what I wanted to hear. I Figured it would work, I was looking at the z-car garage and it got me thinking. My Z is my daily driver and its all I got and I REALLY dont wana mess it up. But its nice to know I can do it when I want too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.