ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, guys I have a 1974 260Z , and I want to do a turbo conversoin on it. According the L-engine builder my compression ratio as the L-28 T is the same if i just use turbo pistons in the L-26 but any ways I want to know how hard it will be to put the computer and wiring also what is the cost of every thing except the turbo, pluming, pistons. Also should i bore out the block and have sleeves pressed in it? could i use my stock crank and head i will probably have large valves put in it and knife edge the crank and have it balanced the turbo will be Garrett T-3 watercooled center section,Rising Rate fuel pressure reg,Blow off Valve,Intercooler- is it costly to have a manifold made, or should I just have a stock one honed out and portmatched if possible and a 75 intake manifold with a larger AFM, and possibly larger than stock injectors, and running like 15 lbs of boost- would this be affective or am i just a dreamer? you guys think I would SCREAM on the street? could this setup work? thanks guys

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: TURBO CONVERSION

you can go many ways. I guess the main question is, How much money do you have to play with? This is what Im doing. I have pretty much converted most of my 280zxt into my 240Z and Im starting there. Once its up and running I will begin doing p3erformance mods as the money flows. WHat you described seems kinda high dollar if you ask me. which is cool if you have it. But if your building a streetfighter, which Is what my objective is, you dont need to go that route. for example I bought an 82 zxturbo for $300 I have used the engine tranny rearend rear brakes and few other things on my z. Now what your talking about building is going to cost in the neighborhood of 3-6 grand. Depending on where you get your work done and what parts you go with. well if I put another $500-$800 into my ride I will definately match your performance out on the street. You get my point. Basically so far I have about $3000 into my whole car. And that is with a bad ass suspension setup, and in a couple weeks a bad ass powertrain. And It cost me as much as you will spend only on your engine.

So back to my original point. If money is no object then go all out. But if it is then choose your mods wisely. Last thing you want is a really fast car that cant stop or turn. Just trying to steer you in the right direction I hope I was helpful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.