ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tire size are you turbo guys running?
My stock 83 has 21-60-15 MXV4's and 1st winds out to nothing as I watch everybody go by. If I run the engine up to 5000 rpm I can keep up until 2nd gear starts kicking in. Third is really the gear that will get the car moving and 4th and 5th are sustntial, but 1st------sucks.
In fact I start out in 2nd about half the time. 1st is for when the terrain is uphill.
My next tire will be a 215-65-15 so that my trans is completely useful, but if I put in a 3.70 LSD....same situation again????
Let me know what you are using in the way of tires and what is your level of performance.
Thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am running 235-50-15 and they fit great, nice fit, beefier not huskier
:)
Are you trying to say your Z spins too much?
or you dont feel it moving as fast as you thnk it should?

If your Z has the stock 3.545:1 ratio and you change to 3.70:1 youll displace even less for any rpm. Our Turbo Z's are torque monsters and benefit a LOT from a low ratio gearing. Maybe you should consider making some upgrades to really feel the hidden power in there.

ah, my tires are the BFG Drag Radials of the mentioned size. They grab asphalt like mad, I even brokw my spider gears into pieces, but now I have an LSD (lets see how it stand the power)

Performance Level?
around 300 hp and rising

Z-ya

CarlosZXT

> What tire size are you turbo guys running?
> My stock 83 has 21-60-15 MXV4's and 1st
> winds out to nothing as I watch everybody go
> by. If I run the engine up to 5000 rpm I can
> keep up until 2nd gear starts kicking in.
> Third is really the gear that will get the
> car moving and 4th and 5th are sustntial,
> but 1st------sucks.
> In fact I start out in 2nd about half the
> time. 1st is for when the terrain is uphill.
> My next tire will be a 215-65-15 so that my
> trans is completely useful, but if I put in
> a 3.70 LSD....same situation again????
> Let me know what you are using in the way of
> tires and what is your level of performance.
> Thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Z will only break traction if I rev it up and dump the clutch. I have to really try to do that but I don't have excess spinning problems. My car just revs to about 3200 rpm and then there is no more power...unless I really stomp on it. It sounds like I am really pushing it beyond that rpm. On level ground or down hill I use second because that will put me out ahead of traffic easily. I just replaced a small diameter exhaust pipe with 2.5 inch and this helped my second gear greatly. Before the upgrade 2nd was crappy, too. That tire size you are using is lower profile than mine. If I used it my car's first gear would be a bulldog gear. Man, I gotta get my new turbo and a Dial-A-Buse, Heh,heh and try and find that torque. The best desription of what my car is doing is it just feels like there is no power past 12 mph unless I tromp the pedal and make an ass of myself.
Thanks man.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.