ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a N/A L28 with the intent of turbo addition at later date. I have 10:1 comp which is higher than normal for this purpose but, I dont see why it cant be done, if done PROPERLY. Afterall, the New Age Ricers do this with their Hondas and such, and yes, they are mostly the drag only cars. I dont want to hear anyone say, get a factory turbo Z, because I've already dumped 10K into my car thus far and dont see starting over as a viable option. I will probably lower comp anyway, but am curious as to what the highest comp someone is, or has, run on their car with turbo. I got my first piece of the Turbo puzzle this week for $50, an exhaust manifold. I know the normal stuff to get, turbo, intercooler, turbo injectors, etc.
I wont shoot too high on boost because I would rather not crack open the engine again. So a small stock turbo would be used. An enormous I/C up front.
What sort of electronic gear has been used by some? Vein Pressure controller, Boost controller (manual or electronic), etc.

MarkIV Supras push 600+hp at the wheels with pure bolt-ons and electronic gadgets to keep it all under control. And never lift off even a valve cover.

It would be nice to get that power, but I know for our Z's, thats rather unrealistic. 450 is pushing the envelope for us.

How about some good answers and opinions.

· Registered
433 Posts
Ok first you'll need a stand alone system to deliver the fuel, a new fuel pump as the turbo models had a better one. Some other things to keep in mind the block for the turbo models is different as wheel they added my webing to make sure it wouldn't screw up and your comperssion will greatly increase detonation. I know I wanted to do what you would live to do but then decided to just fall in line and get a complete turbo engine. I turly belive it can be done but not with your comperssion. I reqemend that you learn as much as you can before you start spending out any more money.

tbs

· Registered
167 Posts
Seek professional help. You're on the right track but find a shop that knows what they're doing to put it all together. I don't know that much about turbo's but it's seems like you should keep your high CR and use a low boost turbo. More power during lag time. I don't know how that actually applies but it would seem acurate. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.