ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I want a mandrel bent 3 exhaust with downpipe for my 83zxt. I got with one company about the job, then came the punchline. They need my car for three days.
Its' 16 hrs to Houston! I need it mail order.
Question: Who has something like that mail order and about how much?
Apexx wanted 160 bones, down pipe to cat, and 425 cat back including muffler.
****, the Oilers came to TN, surely I can get an exhaust.
Thanks, Opie!

·
Registered
486 Posts
My little secret,
Actually, I just saw in Summit in the exhaust section some mandrel bent 3 tubes, in either 90 or 180 degrees. They also give the radius. They are about $20 I believe. If you are handy with a welder, actually gas or mig welding, even brazing, you can probably make one using that pipe for about $30-$50, depending on the flange. I have not tried this, but it seems very feasible. When I start my turbo project I am going to try it. Anybody else with comments on this please say something, I am interested in if this will work.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> My little secret,
> Actually, I just saw in Summit in the
> exhaust section some mandrel bent 3
> tubes, in either 90 or 180 degrees. They
> also give the radius. They are about $20 I
> believe. If you are handy with a welder,
> actually gas or mig welding, even brazing,
> you can probably make one using that pipe
> for about $30-$50, depending on the flange.
> I have not tried this, but it seems very
> feasible. When I start my turbo project I am
> going to try it. Anybody else with comments
> on this please say something, I am
> interested in if this will work.
> Joshua L.
Thanks for the info!! Some shops here are simpathetic, but others act like I defiled their sister.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> Thanks for the info!! Some shops here are
> simpathetic, but others act like I defiled
> their sister.
This is an excellent idea and can also be applied to I/C piping. However, do not be fooled into thinking that you will only need 2 of those pipes or that it will only cost $50. Suggest you study the stock exhaust, assuming you will route the new one the same, and understand what you will really need. IMHO, unless you are trying to eke out every ounce of power, I am not sure the power loss using press bent warrants the additional cost of mandrel. Spend the savings on a top of the line muffler, like a Dynomax Ultraflow.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks Scottie,
I was not implying that it will only cost $50 for the entire setup, just for the downpipe which he was asking about. I guess I kinda assumed that he knew it, but thanks for clearifying it. If you are fgood at welding and cutting, etc, you would do what I would, buy the correct bends and straight tubing and make it yourself for about $75 plus muffler.
Joshua L.

Question- Is this tubing heavy enough for the heat from a turbo? What is required from a turbo exhaust in temp?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
> Thanks Scottie,
> I was not implying that it will only cost
> $50 for the entire setup, just for the
> downpipe which he was asking about. I guess
> I kinda assumed that he knew it, but thanks
> for clearifying it. If you are fgood at
> welding and cutting, etc, you would do what
> I would, buy the correct bends and straight
> tubing and make it yourself for about $75
> plus muffler.
> Joshua L.

> Question- Is this tubing heavy enough for
> the heat from a turbo? What is required from
> a turbo exhaust in temp?
Yeah I figured that out. I looked at my catalogue and saw some 180 degree stuff from Hooker, but no 90 degree stuff. My book is about a year old---is yours a later edition?
Also, I looked at a Volvo intercooler today and was wondering how to pipe the thing and to where. If it goes in front of the radiator, where does the pipe go thru the front panel? Looks to me like the ac tubes prohibit punching a hole though. What size are the intercoolers that are being used on the Z.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.