ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been itchin to put a turbo into a '78 but don't know the details
i've obviously got a '78 280 and a motor out of a 81 turbo with all the parts I need.

what i need to know is how the stock computer will handle boost as well as the other componets of the car.

also if something is going to be needed to make it work, what.

any one with this kind of experince?

thanks
jesse77z

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Archives...

All been laid out. Ian also recently (within the last month...) spelled out all the wiring, what color it is, and where it has to go.

· Registered
801 Posts
Jesse,
If the 78 FI works fine now then use that. Use the 78 manifold on the turbo motor. You need to use the turbo throttle body on the 78 manifold. Switch the injectors from the turbo motor to the 78 rail and bolt back on. Then swapp out the guts from the 78 AFM into the turbo AFM(check archives). By using the larger AFM you trick the ECU into thinking the motor is getting less air. This leads to the ECU leaning out the injectors and giving you a good balance. It works great, I've done it to three 280's, a Maxima wagon, and I use the 77 harness in my turbo260. If you still have an original fuel pump, you may have it go bad soon due to the extra fuel the motor is using. Otherwise it's a great, straitforward conversion. Good luck,
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.