ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - i'm very excited i'm getting ready to go and buy a 280zxt for $2400, the only thing is that its using a carby turbo setup and not an EFI one... which as some of you will know (specially in CA) that this is faaar from passing emission standards.

Can someone please tell me approx how much work it is to convert from carby to EFI? it comes with EFI intake manifold and fuel rails.

is there anything special i should look out for when converting? ie: timing, ECU, spacing of crap like pipes etc etc.

thanks in advanced

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I see the carbbed turbo setups going for quite a bit on ebay... You could make a lot of your money back. What year is this beast? You didn't say. If it's already turboed, and it doesn't ping when you drive then the timing is probably ok. Try and get a complete uncut harness for the car, and it shouldn't be that difficult to do the swap.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got back from the guys place. The whole EFI wiring is still intact, and the intake manifold with injectors and TB are all there too in the boot - included.

its a 1980 280zx, quiet neat inside and out, and under the hood. Was difficult to start but when she warmed up it was alot smoother, backfired/popped a little bit, but, to my surprise it didnt blow a whisper of smoke, even on a cold start. Had a flat batterey so i swapped with the one in my car to start and it turned no problem - not until after we went and bought new jumper leads and the guys dad didnt want to roll the car out incase he had to roll it back in.... (not happy about that)

When i planted my foot on the gas, it would go up to about 3-3500 rpm then drop back down real quick, but still sounded ok, i was told it needs a new electronic dizzy, being gentle with the gas it went smoothly up to 3000 - pretty loud though 3inch straight through exhaust. Still not blowing smoke at 3000

At this point, i was liking it alot - but - when we asked about a test drive he wouldnt let us unless we called up and purchased a temp rego ($60), so we had to basically decided then and there that we didnt want it.

Conclusion, I spent over 3 hours of my day, wasted $20 on petrol, $25 on jumper leads that didnt get used and dragged a mate out of work to see a car we couldnt test drive... For once it was the seller not the buyer wasting time.

·
Registered
930 Posts
1980? I know you live in Australia, but is it really a zxt or a turbo conversion like Cartech or Turbo Tom? What head? I'm curious what the comp. ratio is in your motor.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FlipFlop : I'm pretty sure it had an N42 head but the block wasnt printed, so i'm assuming it wasnt an F54, i beleive it was using high comp like 8.3:1, i doubt they would have had it all the way up at 9.8:1

Precision Engine : Rigoli i wish lol, thats waaaaay out of my budget :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.