Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it's about time I do this right.

I have some tools (rachet and socket sets, jack, wrenchs, tourque wrench)
butI discovered that Id ont have sockets big enough for my sprak plugs.

so what size do I need?
looks like 13/16.

I also want to adjust the valves.

I need two wrnches it seems to adjust the lock nut and rocker pivot.
What sizes are those?
and apperently I need a special adapter in order to torque the pivot locknut.
What is it?
looks funny.
Can I buy that anywhere?

any other tools that you can recomend for a tune up.
(I know I need a timing light)

it's an 83zx and it's n/a

It's my day off today so gonna try to get as much done before dinner.
so anyadice would be helpful..thanks
:)

·
Registered
287 Posts
for the spark plugs they make a socket for them and all the other spark plugs 2 sizes 16mm and 21mm yours is a 21mm ie 13/16.

for the valves you will need a 14mm and a 17mm break the 17 loose and adjust with the 14.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks.
yeah I will have fun.
no matter what happens; even if you discover that you dont have the right size tools, or you discover that Autozone gave you the wrong part (after trying to make it fit for an hour). Working on the car is fun.
hah hah. Somehow it just takes over and you forget about anyother troubles for the moment.

^_^

·
Registered
685 Posts
zero, one thing thats important is that you are dealing with a aluminum head be careful not to tighten the plugs to tight, it easy to strip the threads, also a vary good item to use on all threads is some anti-seize. How old are the plugwires if you replace them get the 7mm or better yet 8mm silicone . If its the first time that you have adjusted the valves I think that it would be best to first set them cold stone cold the first time out . Then set them hot some time later , the first time it will take longer and the engine will cool and scue the results if you start out hot and end with a cool engine , Any way thats my advise, if you get them too tight ,or close , when you set them you will burn the valve . Not good ! The best of luck to ya, one more thing go with NGKs . Gary , Portland Or.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I've alreaddy changed the wires.
they're 7mm... I wish I would have gone with 8's but oh well.

so your saying start off cold?
funny...
both the chiltons and haynes say start off warm in order to expand all the parts...
soooo....
<shrugs>
I donno.
anybody else got anything to say about that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.