ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after getting smacked in the head for the 5th time I decided I would change my trunk shocks. So I started taking the old ones off and when I was trying to take the top part off the **** ball snapped off. So now I'm up **** creek because its pot metal and can't be welded. My current idea is to cut off the rest of the stem, drill an 8mm hole and tap it out and install another ball. That seem like the best plan? Also, how in the **** are we supposed to take those things loose? There isn't any clip, and they don't screw off so is it just extreme force or something? Thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was carefull but yes just brute force. I was able to remove both balls without breaking them and the replacement struts just clip on.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeh I need to replace mine too. I'm sick of getting hit in the head too. I'm still waiting for my hood struts. Didn't know I should of bought the trunk ones too.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
why are you waiting? doesnt any autoparts store carry them? I bought mine at a kragen. and they work just fine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Because I bought mine for vic brit. bad mistake I guess. I didn't think about going to a parts store and plus I ordered them well my license was suspended. I got it back a week or so ago.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
the only bad part about buying the after market ones was having to drill out the brackets from the original struts. but once that unpleasantness was over I will never have to do it again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In the same boat

Changed my trunk shocks out of my 84NA with no problems...went to change out my 84AE's and sure enought the left one snapped!

Just curious sportsdriver...when drilling out the old brackets did you start out with something small like a 1/8" bit and slowly increase in bit sizes? what was your approach?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I did use a smaller one but that was taking to long so I just used a big fat drill bit, and it worked fine. I forgot what size it was though, sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.