Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- '82 280ZX standard Datsun

I need help with getting power to my ignition switch. My starter works, but I need power to get to the coil so it can get to the distributor. If anyone knows how to fix this problem I have, please reach me at my email address. Thanks!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you can crank the engine with the key, then you have power getting to your ignition switch. If you have no power on the primary side of the coil with the switch in the on position, then you need to check the ignition terminal on the back of the switch.

You'll have to remove the dash panels below the instrument panel to get to the ignition switch.

Remove the connector from the back of the ignition switch, turn the switch to the on position and with an ohmmeter check for continuity between the terminals where the big White with Black stripe wire connects (B) and the terminal where the Black with White stripe wire connects (IG). If you have continuity in the on position, then turn the key to the off position and check the same terminals. You should now have no continuity (open circuit). If you get no continuity with the switch in the on position, then the switch is bad. (I think this is what you'll find). You can replace the switch by removing two small screws. The switch is available from Victoria British for around $20, or Motorsport auto for around $26. You can probably also get it from a Nissan Dealer. You don't have to replace the key lock.

If it's not the switch then you have an open circuit somewhere between the switch and the coil. To find it check the black with white stripe wire all the way from the switch to the coil.

If you can't crank the engine with key, then it's a different problem. Check the White with Black stripe wire from the ignition switch all the way back to the fusible link.

Hope this is helpful!
Merry Christmas!

Bob A.
IZCC #5497

> - '82 280ZX standard Datsun

> I need help with getting power to my
> ignition switch. My starter works, but I
> need power to get to the coil so it can get
> to the distributor. If anyone knows how to
> fix this problem I have, please reach me at
> my email address. Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts