ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 83ZHT and have trouble getting in reverse especially when cold. I tried changing the trans oil and checked the clutch reservoir for fluid. It's also a little hard getting into 1st but it never grinds like reverse. Any ideas??

thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does it get better when warm?

If it does, your fluid is thicker than your trans likes it. Try Redline MTL. You already have a BW trans, so it's not the smoothest anyway, this will make it better. GO to redlineoil.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Does it get better when warm?

It does get better but sometimes still grinds a little. I thought I also remember someone else having the same problem and someone suggested the slave cylinder?

thanks,

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

Hi Mark------------Pick up a copy of the Haynes manual for '79 to '83 280ZX. There is some excellent info on clutch pedal height and free play adjustment. When you have these adjusted to spec and you still have problems, you can start thinking about the clutch master and slave cylinder. Replace them as a unit, both at the same time if necessary.

Nismoscca's suggestion about Redline MTL is excellent. It makes a big difference in the smoothness of any Z trans.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

·
Registered
157 Posts

Slave and Master might do the trick, however I changed out both along with the clutch and still have the same problem as you do. In the mean time, slide it into 1st before you use reverse, that will allow you to go into reverse without grinding. Or if that don't work put it into reverse before the car starts. I still haven't found the problem. Must be the Trans.. The only thing I havn't tried is the trans fuid.....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Auto Fluid in T5

I've heard that the T5s were able (recommended) to use auto trans fluid...something about the tolerances being much tighter...thick gear oil not neccessary...anyone concur?
I plan to change out mine next year.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My T5 typically won't go into reverse immediately when I back out of the driveway first thing in the morning. I pop it into 3rd and then it'll go into reverse easily and smoothly. Could just be age or possibly related to the featurre of these trannys that will not allow you to go into reverse directly from 5th, a safety feature.

btw: I've got Red Line in it which did clear up the early morning 2nd gear crunchies.

enjoy the ride

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.