Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
After a few weeks of rebuilding, and a long night fighting my P.O.S. Pacesttter header (never buy one, by the way). My triples are installed, and the Z is up and RUNNING. To say the differnce is great, would be an understatement.
I picked up a set of 42mm DCOE's with intake and linkage, intake was broken in half on the balance tube. They had been sitting for at least 6-7 years on a dusty shelf at the local Z guru's shop. I ordered kits and some jets form Weber, and called my welder freind for a hook up, and started dipping, brushing and polishing my way to installation day. I have been restoring a 77 280 for the last 8 months, removed the F.I. Rebuilt the motor with flat tops, header, crane cam and hardware.. added a crane Import power MSD box and coil. I also did all the good undercar mods, urethane bushings, sway bars, struts, tokico lowering springs 3.90 rear end, 16" wheels etc.. I initiallly put on a set of good ole SU's, I've run this combo on my 240 and liked it. But I was unsatisfied with the lower end power, and not having the dough to do the adjustable F.I. Turbo thing...I decided to pursue the Webers. Well I'm here to tell you, I was not dissapointed at all. The torque, and power I picked up is amazing. The sound that bellows form under my hood when all six barrells fly open, would have been all the work alone....the freight train pulling power does wonders for my adrenaline gland. If any one ever considers doing this swap, I highly recommend it. Have a Z day. Tim

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
That's cool, congratulations! I've also always loved the sound of a triple carb Z wide open. I am getting real used to hearing a turbo spool on an L28 now, and I think I like that too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I Just picked up a set of 40mm tripple Webers on E-bay for my 280Z 2+2 race car. I appreciate your write-up because I can't wait to get those babys hooked up. Fortunately I live in Concord, CA. very near to Rebello racing. Dave Rebello say's 40mm Webers are to small for a L-28 but he can work his magic on them for Maximum HP. Do I need to pickup a 240 fuel rail and replace the fuel injection fuel pump with a 240 fuel pump or an aftermarket electric fuel pump????.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Steve,
40mm too small?, depends on what you want to do. If you like to cruise around or accelarate from stoplight to stoplight, 40mm are fine. If you are planning on doing all-out racing they may be small. I've been running 40mm webers with 34mm venturis on my '72 240z for two years now and can tell you that I don't need anything bigger. I use my z as a second car to drive around on weekends, to kill mustangs and vettes and anything in between (rice cookers) on my spare time. If quarter mile times of 12.54 is not enough for you then you may need bigger carbs. That is pretty fast for an inline 6 engine. Set up your engine properly and you'll love them. There's nothing like the look of triples on a z engine, beats the looks of turbos without the complexity and performance is not that far off, if any at all (at least in my case) and the sound they make when you accelearte and they open up can't be beat. Get a 240z fuel rail, an aftermarket electric fuel pump and a fuel pressure regulator (very important - set it at 3 or 3.5 lbs) and ask Rebello to fine tune your engine, you won't beleive is the same car. Webers love high compression, so if you have dished pistons, get a newer 280z block with flat top pistons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.