ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I dropped my car off yesterday to get my lifters adjusted.Now I know the principal behind it but dont know exactly how to do it.Well the Guy tells me that it is nonadjustable.WTF.. I have never heard of that.. he tells me That I either have to live with it or buy a new set.. WHAT.. I am getting my car away from that place as soonas possible.Well I guess I am just gonna do it myself.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
See the post named "83zx head question"

It would help everyone if we knew if your car is turbo or not. If you have the hydrolic lifters then the mechanic was correct, they are not adjustable but do get stuck every now and then (I'm not sure how to un stick a sticky lifter though). As for the lifters, you cannot buy them unless you find a junk yard car with em or an engine with the p90a head laying around somewhere. Nissan no longer makes them.

If I were you I would use that mechanic. He could have told you "sure I can adjust them, It'll take about an hour and cost $70" then after you got your car back and didn't like it he would have told you that he did it and thats how they sound. Be glad you still have your money and that he didn't take advantage of you.

just my .02c

Josh

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I guess that is true.. He ccould have screwed me.I looked at the post and didnt really help me.. My car is a 83N/A. I have never heard of non adjustable lifters. I very well could be wrong.I am not an expert or anything.Oh well I do appreciate the direction EagerCrow and will resurch it more.Thanks.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi 83Zwigen---------------Since you have a non-turbo car, you should have the P-79 head. The lifters on the P-79 are most certainly adjustable. The mechanic you took the car to needs to do more research, IMO.

Roadman

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See that is what I thought.. Man Thats what makes me mad.. I hate being lied to.That guy was just to lazy to do alittle research.. He even told me it said that they were nonadjustable under my hood. I know every inch of my car and know that it does not say that anywere... Thanks Guys... I feel better now anyway. I am gonna call that guy ... I think... LateZ

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
don't feel bad. not many people know much about L series Datsun. I took my car to a Nissan dealer once for an electric diagnostic, it was a mistake. they didn't fix the problem and they charged me 120 bucks for running a test. All I needed was a new ignition assembly. That made me mad. To make me more mad. they left the outside whole time my car was there. That's why I learned how to fix Zcar. I can't trust anybody

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW the mechanic just called me back and said that he was wrong... He looked it up and said that they were adjustable.HMM He said I could take it back there and he would do it.. but I am not sure I want to take it back there..Before when I was talking with him he said hoever told me that they could be adjusted didnt know what they were talking about and he Has been doing this for 30 yearsbla bla bla.. Well Roadman you are the one who is CORRECT.. Thankyou for that.. He was kina a a$$to me so I am not sure what I want to do.. LaterZ

·
Registered
205 Posts
patience, time, and a chilton's
follow it to the letter.
did my 82zx na runs much much better but I also adjusted the timing chain.that part of it can be quite a bear

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just adjusted mine this last weekend...... .10 on the intakes and .12 on exhaust. from chilton I believe. ( My dad actually helped me on it as he know more about engines than I do.) It was fairly easy and man, it's a whole lot quieter now..but not sure If it added HP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.