ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am removing my transmission today and I have followed the FSM instructions to the letter and things are going smoothly.

I am at the point where the FSM says to move transmission rearward and let down with the jack. I am having a really hard time manuvering the jack.

How heavy is the transmission? I could lift the transmission down if it were 100 lbs, but it would fall on me if it were 200 lbs. How have any of you transmission guru's gone about this?!

Thanks in advance for your responses...

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I move my 4-speed around by myself just by picking it up. I would say it's about 75-80 lbs. It's a bit hard to maneuver, but it's not that heavy. Now, from being under a car, it would be heavy since you have limited range of motion, and leverage is usually on the side of the trans, not you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The transmission can be lowered and lifted up as long as you are able to have enough room under the car to maneuver around. I dropped and reinstalled my 4 speed in a couple hours, and I got stuck when I dropped it the first time. I didn't feel like fighting to remove the shifter, and when I got it down, it pinned me between the Z and the garage floor. I had to slide sideways and struggle to get out, and I ended up tearing the **** out of my pants from getting stuck.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
It could be binding on something. It usually slides out easily if the angle of the trans matches the motor & all bolts are removed. Are you on cement or gravel?

·
Registered
794 Posts
its probably around 80 lbs like they say...Im a skinny 17 year old kid and I have no problem bench pressing the thing in and out of the car (done it 5 times)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.