ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a source or have this information themselves.

I am looking to find what transmissions came in the z cars from start to finish.
1970-1996.

I am currently working on a L28ET conversion, and have the stock 5 spd tranny out of a 78 280z. What should I be looking at if I want to run 300-360 rwhp? I have heard that borg warner made the 5 spd in the 280 series, and that Nissan did not start making trannys until the 300ZX. I have also heard that the Nissan trannys are stronger and a '80+ NA 5spd is best for high hp applications. Can anyone straighten this out?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi ramcast-------------Start to finish, I can't tell you. I do know that Nissan made all their own transmissions through the '83 280ZX except for the Borg-Warner T-5 that was installed in '82 and '83 280ZX Turbo cars.

Most folks that do high hp turbo conversions seem to favor a combination of the Borg-Warner 5-speed and the c/v jointed halfshafts from an '82 or '83 ZX turbo. This is a stronger setup, and with the 240mm clutch seems to handle +300 hp with no problem and no slipping. But a lot of NA 5-speeds are in these conversions as well, and seem to hold up to anything except the hardest launches and roughest treatment. My personal preference is the Borg and c/v shafts. If you already have the '78 trans installed, couple it with a 3.54 diff from a '78 and go for it. You can always upgrade if it breaks.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.