ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Z car experience. I have acquired a 1982 280 ZX turbo from its original owner. It is a 2+2 with an automatic transmission. Is it economical/practical to swap in a five speed or would I be throwing away good money? Is it a challenging project?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I have a 1981 280 ZXT and am on the way to replacing the Auto trans with a CD009 out of a 350Z. The first step was to get a clutch pedal installed which was pretty easy but It does require pulling out the instrument cluster. (I am in the middle of changing my interior color so that was going to happen anyway.) My ZX has only 35K miles so I plan to keep the L28 motor. I am on the waiting list for the adapter plates from Hoke Performance. Once I get those I will source a good transmission. Then get it bolted up and then have a drive line built and most likely do some exhaust re-routing. All stuff I look forward to doing. I think it will be well worth it. You could to a direct bolt in with a zx 5 speed but they are a bit weak as I plan to add some ponies down the road.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Gather parts, and if and when the trans poops the bed then move forward.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am new to the Z car experience. I have acquired a 1982 280 ZX turbo from its original owner. It is a 2+2 with an automatic transmission. Is it economical/practical to swap in a five speed or would I be throwing away good money? Is it a challenging project?
Hello if you stay with an automatic transmission back in the day you could use a 4-speed out of a Mitsubishi Conquest if you decide to go with a manual 5-speed you must remove the spacer behind the automatic transmission flywheel before installing the manual transmission flywheel for the transmission will never bolt up properly it's a little spacer on the crankshaft good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts