ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 4 speed in my '71 z and it shifts great, however, when I downshift from third to second I hear and feel a really bad grinding noise. Now this only happens occasionally but it's happening more than before. And ideas?

p.s.- It also happens sometimes when downshifting from second to first.

thanks,

josh

· Registered
2,676 Posts
Lose the 4speed get a 5 speed

Your synchro rings are worn. You can get new ones and rebuild the tranny, your going to have to totally dissasemble it to change the rings or you could put the money towards a good used 5 speed. Unless your anally "purrist and want the 4 speed which are kind of a white elephant.

· Registered
42 Posts
Re: Lose the 4speed get a 5 speed

I just went through the same issues with my stock 71. I drained the oil and put in Redline Transmission fluid. That improved the shifting for over a year. Just pulled it out to get it rebuilt. $750.00 here in the seattle market. The 70-71 transmissions were different from 72 on. Different shift linkage and the shifter is in a slightly different position. You will have to cut uour console to install a 5 speed or 72 4-speed. I couldn't live with that so decided to get mine fixed. Hope it lasts another 30 years. PS I have a 72 4speed I'll make you a deal on. [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.