ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was just wondering if it is necessary to flush your transmission and if so, how do you do it? I have a friend who needs/wants to get her transmission fluid dumped and wants her transmission flushed. Instead of taking it and spending $126 to do it I figured I could pop on here and ask all of you wonderful mechanics how it's done :eek:P Is it kind of like the radiator flushing? Add water, run engine....Dump water....Add more water?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
So does this mean your radiator flush was a success?! Congrats! PROUD TO SEE YOU DOING IT YOURSELF :).

It sounds like you are speaking of an automatic transmission but it is important to let us know which it is because the process is quite different.

Before asking you should always thumb through either your Haynes manual (if you don't have one get one) or the FSM to see if there is a good procedure documented. I am away from both so I can't tell you if they do but I believe these procedures are documented.

I'm assuming this is an automatic transmission. What you will need to do is go to your local parts store and pick up a new "filter" and "gasket," which usually come as a kit (together). Locate the transmission pan which will have several (10+) small bolts to remove. You'll remove all but approximately 2 on the shorter side and allow the old fluid to drain into a pan. From there you take off the last two and you will have access to the filter. Take off the old filter, replace it with the new. Clean old gasket material from the tranny and/or pan and but the new gasket in place. Reinstall pan and bolts. Fill.

These are very loose instructions without any details but it will give you an idea of the procedure to follow. Changing the fluid in this instance isn't really a "flush." You don't see a true flushing much outside of the coolant flush that you did.

*Check your Haynes for detailed information* and good luck!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks STu :eek:P Yeah, I managed to get the radiator flushed on my own lol! Also, the transmission flushing is for my friend's grand am or grand prix? (Hard to tell because they both look a like :eek:P) I'll make HER buy the haynes manual LOL, she's interested in learning on how to fix cars so I figure I could at least somewhat guide her through some processes...I don't have "intense" experience on cars like you guys, but my experiences are at least better than hers :eek:P Thanks a lot Stu!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I suggest you do not try removing tranny pan and doing all yourself unless you want a real mess. Can cause you more problems then you want. I dont think all the pan bolts are clear to access unless some other things are loosened or removed. I could be wrong. Maybe Im thinking the oil pan. But you have to torque those 10 bolts down the right way or you will leak tranny fluid all over the place. So do it right the first time or else.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yup! It's called a T-tec. It's good stuff.

I had it done to my Z two and a half years ago when I first bought it. Two and a half years later believe it or not, the tranny fluid is still pink! It's usually around $100 and does only take about 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had that t-tech done in Florida in 2002 in my 86NA 2+2 and drove back to NY. 3 months later my transmission went dead. So I cant say nothing good about the t-tech flush. I no longer have the NA because of that. To much money for tranny repair. Rather use the money for repairs on my 86Turbo. The color of the Trans oil should not matter. It normally dark RED. But a mechanic told me those guys doing the t-tech...Will always through you a pitch about the color and if its normal looking color like it should be...they will lie ....and tell you thats why you need a flush. Color has nothing to do with it. With the motor oil it does though.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thank you 1sikZ! If you tranny fluid is pink, that usually means a) you just changed it and/or b) it's in good shape.

Dark and sludge-like tranny fluid is not good my friend. Especially if you find metal shavings in it. Sorry to say, but it wasn't the T-Tec that killed your tranny. It was most likely old age!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.