ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shying away from the BW T-5, and am now looking at N/A transmissions. I heard somewhere that for a turbo car, you would want to use a 3.54 or a 3.70 instead of a 3.90 for some reason? Any basis for this? What transmissions (early or late 5spds) and diff's do some of you turbo guys use? Any advice for me? Here is the engine setup in a 1971 240z:

L-28 from '83 zxt
SDS EM-2 system
t3/t4 turbo
starion intercooler
fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator

Thanks.

btw, I have some pictues up at
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~dknouf/

I'll try to get some better pictures of the engine setup and put up a little more info when I get home in a few weeks

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hey Dave

I posted your pics on my websight, can you give me some information about your car and engine so that I may post it on my websight? Thanks, nice looking car. To answer your question. An 81 5-speed has good ratios and will handle 500+hp, you do not need to run the B/W T-5 tranny. Also, the 3.55-3.70 gives best all around performance whether on the road, track or just having fun.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: Where are all these cars coming from?

For the past two years while I've been slowly building my 71 240 I've searched around on the web and such for other cars. Until recently I'd only found the "No Shimpei" page with the 240 turbo. Now I have no less than 6 different pages bookmarked of 240 turbo cars, 5 of them are 1971 models. Not that I'm complaining. I love it. Are the cars getting that popular, or is the web just growing that fast? As far as the 3.54 for a turbo car--you want to keep a load on the turbo to help it spool quicker and keep the boost up. 3.90 or 4.11 gears require too much shifting espescially in first and second. The higher horsepower of a turbo car in a light z body doesn't need the gear to keep the revs high like a wild cammed naturally aspirated car does.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Where are all these cars coming from?

Dave...sweet car, where are you located?. How long have you had the SDS? I would like to know if you had similiar success with the system like I did. Let us know more, especially how it runs with the T3/T4.

I have a '80 speed, with a lightened 225mm flywheel, hi-po clutch and 3.7. I love the way the engine spools up with this combination, especially between shifts. Only drawback is the engine runs high RPMs if cruising at high speed on the highway.

Greg, you are right about turbo Zs crawling out of the woodwork. There are 2 here in Orlando currently having work done to them. One runs low-12s and the other has a Turbo Tom's setup and fender flares like mine.

Scottie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.