ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having trouble with my clutch for the past couple of days. It started suddenly and is getting slowly but progressively worse.

The clutch now has a very small friction zone. The pedal has full play, but the clutch is fully engaged within the first couple of inches when i let the pedal out. The rest of the movement in the pedal has no bearing on the action of the clutch.
It is also leading me to have to almost float gears to get the transmission in gear. It is difficult to shift and especially hard for me to get the car in first gear from time to time.

Is this a problem with my clutch or does my clutch cable need to be tightened up? I've never had any trouble w/ any manual transmission like this before so let me know if you've had trouble like this and what i need to do to make it better.

Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There is no clutch cable, it is hydraulic. Check the fluid level in the reservoir, drivers side on the firewall, about the size of a shot glass. Check for leaked fluid around the reservoir and tubing connectors. Also check your clutch pedal. The actuating rod to the master cylinder sometimes has the jam nut loosen up and then the rod screws into the connection to the pedal so that your stroke is too short to totally disengage the clutch. Mine did, I adjusted the clutch pedal to the specs in the Haynes manual, and the problem disappeared.
Also had one car with a leaking slave cylinder which had to be replaced, and another with a leaking master cylinder which had to be replaced. The slave cylinder is attached to the transmission on the passenger side. I haven't had to replace a clutch yet, but I would check those first, as they are easy to check, fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. If you find the clutch is bad, refer to the Haynes for removal and replacement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.