ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trans.conversion

489 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bob H 
#1 ·
73 240Z with l24 engine
Does anyone know what all needs to be changed in swapping a 4-speed out and installing a 5-speed
as in Clutch parts etc.

#2 ·
> 73 240Z with l24 engine
> Does anyone know what all needs to be
> changed in swapping a 4-speed out and
> installing a 5-speed
> as in Clutch parts etc.

Go and take a look at the Datsun Garage. The link is below. I believe it is under the mods and such section. He talks about what you need. One thing to note, that has not been well circulated. Many people use the 4 speed shifter in the 5 speed when they switch. This is because the original shifter (from a 280zx), will not work in a 240, for it hits. You need to use a shifter from a 78 5speed. This is not a well known fact, and it is not addressed on Bryan's page. The 4 speed shifter has a slightly longer bottom section,(the part that goes into the trans), and this causes it not fully engage in 5th, and second. it will sometimes pop out of gear, and ultimatly, like mine, you will lose your transmission. So bottom line, us the 78 5 speed shifter. You can order it from the Zbarn in Tennesee, for he stocks them, or from any local Nissan dealer. While you are ordering it, get new bushings as well for it.
-Bob Hanvey

#3 ·
> You need to use a shifter from a 78
> 5speed.

I'm planning on doing the switch to my '72, and I've heard that only 70 and 71 240Z 's have the clearance problem, and starting in '72 5th gear clears on both the '78 and the '81 transmission. Have you heard this? Is that misinformation?

I haven't actually bought anything yet, but I like to be as prepared as I can and know exactly what I need.

I was actually planning on installing the entire '78 5speed transmission, with the 3.90 R200 from the '81 zx. Is that a combo that works? Your post kind of made it sound like the '81 5speed is the only transmission that'll go in there. (when you use the '78 shifter on it).

Thanks for any information!
-Robroy

#4 ·
Re: NOT what I was saying..

> I'm planning on doing the switch to my '72,
> and I've heard that only 70 and 71 240Z 's
> have the clearance problem, and starting in
> '72 5th gear clears on both the '78 and the
> '81 transmission. Have you heard this? Is
> that misinformation?

WHOA! Not what I was trying to say. I was refering to the shifter itself, and how it interacts with the TRANSMISSION, not the car. Many people who put in the 5 speed, and I mean the later 280zx trans, use the early 4 speed shifter so it angles back for you to use,(the zx shifter is almost straight up and down). You are right about the clearance with the trans tunnel, and it only being a prob in the early cars.

> I was actually planning on installing the
> entire '78 5speed transmission, with the
> 3.90 R200 from the '81 zx. Is that a combo
> that works? Your post kind of made it sound
> like the '81 5speed is the only transmission
> that'll go in there. (when you use the '78
> shifter on it).

Again, I was not talking about a particular year trans, but any 5 speed in a 240. You need to use the 78 SHIFT LEVER, ie what you change gears with,(has the cool knob on top) - because it has the lower section that the 5 speed needs, with the curved top part so it works in our Z's. The combo you are looking at should work great. Just remember that the 78 trans was designed for a 3.54 rear, and if you want your speedo to be right, put the 3.9 cog in it. but it will work great.
-Bob Hanvey

#6 ·
Re: NOT what I was saying..

> Bob,
> Will only the 78 shifter work, or will the
> 76 also work? Why not the 240 shifter. I
> have not tried any of these, so these are
> just questions right now.
> Thanks,
> Joshua L.

No, the 76 won't work b/c it only came in a 4 speed, so it is the same as using the earlier 4 speed levers. Basicly, you are looking for a shift lever that came stock in a Z with a 5 speed. I don't know about the european trans. that were available in the 240's. The 5 speed was only available in the 280Z in 78. You can find some late 77's, but they are rare. That is why you need to order the 78 part. Of course, in 79, the ZX came around, and had a completely different shifter. If you wanted to use that, you could cut off the top of it, and weld on the earlier one, getting the right geometry on the bottom, and the top.
As I said in my post above, the reason the 240 shifter does not work is because it is designed for the 4 speed, and has a longer section from the pivot hole down into the trans. This causes the trans to not fully engage 5th and 2nd. It was transparent to me, until I lost 5th gear.
Many people have made the swap and been fine. But I feel it is just a matter of time. And some transmissions may allow for a little tolerance which makes it transparent. Mine wasn't.
-Bob Hanvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.