ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started hearing bearing noise in neutral when the clutch is disengaged. My question is how long can I let this go before it does any major damage? And what kind of damage could accure. Shifting into reverse has also gotten extremely stiff, any connection? thanks Tod

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Your throw-out bearing could be going bad. By disengaged, you mean the pedal is pushed to the floor, right? The bearing goes bad and that eats the fork which causes the clutch to not dis-engage all the way.

You should go to a "clutch-masters" type shop to get it diagnosed. If you are mechanically inclined you and another mechanically inclined friend could probably do it in a day.
Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments Steve. By disengaged I ment the stick is in neutral and the clutch is out. That's when I here the bearing noise. When I push the clutch to the floor the noise stops. How long would you let this go. Thanks Tod

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same problem with
the 5 speed in my 78 280 and the 5 speed in my 91 S-10 4x4.
The s-10 noise started following a low oil incident
due to a bad rear seal. It doesn't seem to worsen very fast with contunuous use.

The noise level on the 280 which has never been low on oil seems to worsen daily and
will probably be the first to go. Was hoping it would last until I can afford a planned
V8 swap which will include a
T-56.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.