ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What seals on the transmission could I replace myself if I take it down from the car? Are there any that commonly leak?

I have a very slow leak on mine now. It doesn't ever seem to drip on the floor, but there is almost always a drip hanging from that can-shaped part that sticks out from the bottom of it.

Thanks.

Post Edited (Jan 23, 11:46am)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Could just be blown there from an engine oil leak, but most of the time just the rear tranny seal leaks (what seals the driveshshaft).

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The rear main seal is easy to do when the transmission is out. A leak from the RMS will show up through the small rectangular opening at the bottom of the transmission bellhousing where the bottom of the bellhousing meets the engine. It could very well be an RMS leak.

Another thing to consider is that the transmission itself has an opening at the top of the transmission to relieve any pressure buildup in the transmission. There is a metal tube that comes off the top of the tranny, angles over and points downward on the passenger side of the tranny. It is about 3 inches long and about 1/4 inch in diameter. If you have recently replaced fluid and filled it to the absolute max - until fluid spills out the transmission fill plug - it is normal to have some fluid "blow" out this drain tube. Just a thought!

Have fun tracking it down -

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
I think all tou can really do are the RMS as mentioned and the rear tranny seal (driveshaft). Just did both on Lum's car, not hard...

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The RMS is almost brand new. It was done along with the clutch this last summer. I'm getting no oil leakage from the tranny bell.

I'll look into doing the rear tranny seal.

Thanks everybody.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.