ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I put my car in the shop because my reverse quit on me and 5th made a lot of noise. I went to a highly recommended tranny person in our area! I got to seee the tranny after tear down to notice that 5th gear is missing many teeth, Which is the noise, and the reverse idler was COMPLETELY broken off, and layin in the bottom.... i have no idea how this happened. Anyhow.. the final cost is 1048, to buy the gears new cltch pressure plate pilot bearing and release bearing. Is this high??:"?

PLEASE RESPOND QUICKLY
I HAVE TO GIVE THE GO AHEAD TOMORROW MORNING 4-1-99!

thank you
Simon

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Tranny help</b>

i know very little on 83 however my favorite shop is the junk yard. all those parts for 100.00

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: Tranny help</b>

That does not seem to be a fair price. You should scavenge your local wreck yard and get one from them. Should be fairly cheap. $100-$150 and you should be good to go. For $1000, I could get a pro-grip race clutch and a used Borge-warner and still have $300 to spare. Ask someone on the forum if they have a working trans to sell you.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Get a used unit. You can buy them all day long for $125, like Jim said. Unless you have a factory turbo car, then a used one will cost you about $300. There is no way I would pay to rebuild a factory nissan 5 speed. They are just too common used, and cheap to boot. Something weird just happened to yours. How in the world do you break off idler gears? maybe you should switch to an automatic?? (just kidding) That price sounds about $300 too high, even with the price of labor to remove and install. Z's are so easy to work on, I would swap the trans for you for a case of beer, if I drank!
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: where are you, simon?

Maybe a local z member can help you out with a used tranny or help installing it?
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
399 Posts
Used trannys are $48 at my local U-Pull yard. Any 280 5spd. will work in your car. I agree with Greg. Look for a local Z enthusiast or mechanic to help you.

P.S.- I am in Florida, where are you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.