ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. i put in a used FS5R90A into my 1984 300zx, which is the stock tranny if you didn't know. My old tranny didn't allow me to engage in 2nd and 3rd, so it was mandatory to get a new tranny. Uhh, my new tranny was good for the first few weeks, but now its beginning to become very troublesome for me. Whenever I try to move from a stop using 1st gear, it pops out of gear and generates a disgusting sound. Sometimes I try to hold it in first gear, so it won't pop out, but it forces itself out. Does anyone know what the problem is? It's obviously a bad tranny, but more specifically what is it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
does it go into any other gears i dont know the exact innards of a 300zx tranny but i do know about manual tannys and it sounds like your first gear linkage bar might be worn and not seating correctly into first gear try to take off in second and see if it pops out also then it might be outside the tranny

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, the other gears engage smoothly. my only problem is getting to move from the stoplight. I'll try starting off in 2nd, but isn't it bad for your clutch if done constantly?

does anybody have any suggestions on whether what I should do?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, I just drove it around and the only new result was a semi-harsh engagement into 2nd. It didn't pop out though. Whatever the problem is with 1st gear, can it be fixed w/o breaking the bank of just buying a new transmission?

·
Registered
102 Posts
depends if you can fix it yourself or pay a mechanic to fix it it all comes down to what is wrong with it and how easy is it to fix and how much but a couple of things might be the cause and it can to all the way from needing new gear oil all the way up to replacing the tranny if and ONLY if you knowwhat your doing drop the tranny and crack it open and you should see the problem if you dont take it to someone might be more expensive than buying a used one less than buying a new one

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh ok, ill experiment with my old tranny before doing some serious work on my "new" one. hopefully i can find the problemo. thanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
if you have a haynes manual look through it there is a section on rebuilding the tranny. it sounds to me like the sincronizer might be bad.
And I know I spelled it wrong but I think you get the point LOL.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
"depends if you can fix it yourself or pay a mechanic to fix it it all comes down to what is wrong with it and how easy is it to fix and how much but a couple of things might be the cause and it can to all the way from needing new gear oil all the way up to replacing the tranny if and ONLY if you knowwhat your doing drop the tranny and crack it open and you should see the problem if you dont take it to someone might be more expensive than buying a used one less than buying a new one"

DEAR GOD MAN>!>!>!!!

A guide to english punctuation.

·
Registered
297 Posts
get a new transmission...i had the same problem

it'll cost more to rebuild than to buy a used one from a junkyard or classifieds.

i found a FS5W71C linked to a VG30E for $100.00 on the craigslist.org Auto Parts section.

i would reccomend the FS5W71C as it is proven to be a more reliable tranny; just remember that if you switch transmission models you'll have to source an appropriate driveshaft to mate it to your companion flange. z31.com classifieds is your best bet

trust me, deals can be had if you look hard enough

good luck

Post Edited (Aug 31, 2:18pm)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
isnt a tranny like a guy that dresses up like a girl?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.