ZCar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
The TPS, is the device that tells your computer what's going on with the gas pedal position - and your fuel injection needs that info to function

So the answer is no, you can't drive the car without it. They are available, evidently the OP needs to check more sources, especially used parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't fully undertstand the TPS, but it's the device that tells your computer what's going on - and your fuel injection needs that info.

So the answer is no, you can't drive the car without it. They are available, evidently the OP needs to check more sources, especially used parts.
I don't fully undertstand the TPS, but it's the device that tells your computer what's going on - and your fuel injection needs that info.

Do you know if I can buy one online or do I have to find it used

·
Registered
648 Posts
The 280ZX "TPS" is not a position sensor. It's a set of throttle switches as mentioned above. Two switches in the non-turbo - one is an idle switch and one is a WOT (wide open throttle) switch. The TPS for the '81-83 turbo models only include the idle switch. The same Throttle Position Switch assy can also be found on the '75-'78 280Z and has a similar mount. Later Nissan TPS's are very similar in form and function but have a narrower mounting bracket. One could be made to work properly on a ZX if the stock TPS was unavailable.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The proper name for what you called the throttle position sensor, is a TVS or throttle valve switch. It's ok to call it the throttle position switch. They didn't use the throttle position sensor until some of the Z31 cars. The Z31's used both the sensor or the switch, it just depends on the year and model. Also, the 81-83 turbos used the same TVS as the non turbo cars, they just didn't use the full throttle circuit. It was the turbo cars wiring that was different, not the TVS. I have used TVS's in stock just be sure to let me know you use this forum for a discount. To answer one last question, you can run the 75-83 cars with the TVS unplugged temporarily and it won't cause a problem. Matter of fact if you ever think that the TVS is causing a problem, just unplug it, go drive the car and see if the problem went away. If it did then the TVS either needs to be repaired or replaced. Z man of Washington 360-668-2979 landline

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 280ZX "TPS" is not a position sensor. It's a set of throttle switches as mentioned above. Two switches in the non-turbo - one is an idle switch and one is a WOT (wide open throttle) switch. The TPS for the '81-83 turbo models only include the idle switch. The same Throttle Position Switch assy can also be found on the '75-'78 280Z and has a similar mount. Later Nissan TPS's are very similar in form and function but have a narrower mounting bracket. One could be made to work properly on a ZX if the stock TPS was unavailable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts