ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard 80-82 4piston calipers are a direct fit. What is needed to fit later models on? Cutting the dust shield? Is the gap between pads on post-86 models bigger?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just installed '82 Toyota 4x4 1/2 ton pickup 4 piston calipers on my '71 240z. All you need to do is cut back the dust shield. It's a direct bolt on. You'll need the right clips and pins....but that's not a problem.

Tom

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi badandy260----------This past weekend, I decided to install new pads on my '70 240. The car was equipped with Toyota 4-piston calipers when I bought it two years ago. I had been under the impression that the calipers were from a '79-'83 Toyota 4-wd, but they turned out to be from an '86. There are several different styles of pads and calipers from '79 to '86. Any of these will fit, providing you trim the dust shield.

I'm using the master cylinder from a '79 280ZX with my setup, but for normal street use the 260 master will work fine. IMO, the most important thing with this or any other brake mod is to THOROUGHLY bleed the system after working on it. This may involve doing the bleeding operation more than once.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any of the Toyota truck calipers are a direct bolt-on except for trimming or removing the dust shield and bending the brake line to fit the caliper. The 4-cyl calipers are 4 piston but smaller than the v-6 4x4. The only problem you may experience is too much braking in the front. I installed an adjustable proportioning valve to try and compensate but still have more braking in the front than in the rear. I just put the Porterfield endurance shoes on in place of the street/track shoes to see if that would even things up a bit.
Another upagrade to consider is the vented rotors from an '84 300XZ. You need to have a spacer made to fit the 240 hat but you never have to worry about brake fade!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone have a print or drawing for the spacer that is used on a 240Z when you use '84 ZX rotors??
Rube.

·
Registered
168 Posts
79-85 Toys are the same, solid rotor only found on the live axle 4x4's. 86-95, vented rotor found on IFS 4x4's. V-6's 88-95, Supposed to be differnt than the 4 cyl calipers but mine aren't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.