ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completed the toyota 4x4 caliper conversion yesterday. System has been properly bled, however I notice greater that normal brake pedal travel compared to stock. Is this typical for this conversion? What are other peoples' experiences with this? Is there another brake booster assembly that will minimize this?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I too have done that conversion. I noticed a little bit more pedal travel, but not more than an inch or so. This is due to the larger amount of fluid need to move the 4 piston calipers.
I have heard that a zx brake booster will work to help with this problem. I haven't tried it though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Try the 280ZX master cylinder. It has a 15/16 piston rather than the 7/8. This will displace more fluid and therefore decrease you pedal travel. However, you may feel an increase in pedal pressure required to stop the car...

Good Luck!!!

Ian

> I completed the toyota 4x4 caliper
> conversion yesterday. System has been
> properly bled, however I notice greater that
> normal brake pedal travel compared to stock.
> Is this typical for this conversion? What
> are other peoples' experiences with this? Is
> there another brake booster assembly that
> will minimize this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
> I completed the toyota 4x4 caliper
> conversion yesterday. System has been
> properly bled, however I notice greater that
> normal brake pedal travel compared to stock.
> Is this typical for this conversion? What
> are other peoples' experiences with this? Is
> there another brake booster assembly that
> will minimize this?

I did the conversion in August and noticed the travel difference. If you want to see a greater improvement go with a set of Stainless brake hoses, they give you a much better pedal . I recently did this and would recomend it.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> I too have done that conversion. I noticed a
> little bit more pedal travel, but not more
> than an inch or so. This is due to the
> larger amount of fluid need to move the 4
> piston calipers.
> I have heard that a zx brake booster will
> work to help with this problem. I haven't
> tried it though.

I have one car ('71 240) with late model land cruisers calipers up front, maxima vented rotors & zx disks in the rear. (My other 2 z's are currently stock brakes.)

The front calipers do require more fluid to move the pistons. I changed my master cylinder to the zx unit for the larger bore. Your stock master cylinder will give you more pedal travel w/ the 4 piston caliper, but in return you get lower pedal pressure due to greater mechanical advantage.

I opted to have less mech. advantage (harder pedal) and shorter pedal travel. I also have shorter travel by using the braided teflon brake lines. (There is also a 1 bore master cylinder on one of the datsun pu's that will probably also work, but I think this would be too much.)

(The land cruiser calipers are basically the same as the Sumitomo on the toyota pu but have a wider gap that allow use of the vented rotor. I also used the zx proportioning valve with the zx master cyl. & rear brakes. This required the bending of some lines and a bit of extra effort. Cost me less than an adjustable Wilwood prop. valve so I decided to try it 1st. Seems to have good bias for me in tests both wet and dry.)

WARNING: If you do the zx rear brakes take note of the bracket on the chassis where the brake line mates to the rear brake hose...The mount frame of the zx rear caliper rubbed the bracket esp on the rh side under hard driving and large bumps. This abraided the brake hose in addition to the bracket & I had to replace the rear hoses because the braiding was frayed. I reshaped and shortened the bracket & no more rubbing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
> I did the conversion in August and noticed
> the travel difference. If you want to see a
> greater improvement go with a set of
> Stainless brake hoses, they give you a much
> better pedal . I recently did this and would
> recomend it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
> I did the conversion in August and noticed
> the travel difference. If you want to see a
> greater improvement go with a set of
> Stainless brake hoses, they give you a much
> better pedal . I recently did this and would
> recomend it.
I also completed the conversion recently. I totally agree with Bud, the stainless brake lines improve pedal firmness and response.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.