ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
This is the roller that has a flat black rivet on the outside of the glass, right? Easiest way to remove (assuming the rod behind the glass snapped) is to drill it out from the outside. Sounds bad to do because of the glass but you'll be fine, just take your time, metal isn't real hard. Tape up the glass to protect from slips and mask up around the area to protect from metal shards. Start with a small pilot hole then expand up to a larger bit until the rivet head snaps off.

After that (going from memory) -- removed the old roller and put down the window. Removed the track it fits into, installed the new rivet into the glass, slip the track over the roller end and fastened it back down. I know this job involved putting the window up and down a bit to get all the screws on the track into place -- sorry it's been a while.

The trim piece that covers the guide track is removed from screws that are reached via the cabin side of the door frame (and if I remember right, removing the door's weather stripping to get at some hidden underneath). Upper trim panel that covers the inside of the door (which needs to be removed first) has a hidden screw accessed via the window side of the door. Lower the window a bit, remove large plastic trim plug -- screw is underneath.

Yes, they designed that door and trim pieces in the most complicated way they could!!!!

FYI -- The way I tightened the rivet head to the window, look at the new part. You'll see 2 little dents in surface - must have been for a specialized wrench tool at the factory? I took a small piece of wood and drilled 2 holes spaced same as those dents. Put in small finishing nails so the nail tips just poked out of the wood. That became my special tool. If you scratch the rivet a bit -- touch up paint fixes that....

Also worth mentioning -- initially had a hard time getting the roller into the track, seemed too big (due to newness?). Used a heat gun to warm up the track a bit and I think I also hit the roller with some freezing spray? It worked - so that's another trick. Also a good idea to lube the track up a bit before the install....

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had the same condition when I wanted to get fixed my door panel and everything. I am very thankful to Brett R who helped me to make my dream come true. Gryphongaragedoors.com

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts