ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got done replacing the water pump and timing and all that good stuff...

i put everything back on and forgot the top half of the timing cover...

how "neccesary" is it? i mean, its just the top half, the bottom half is on....

can it last a week or too before i have time to removed the stuff i need to to slap that sucka back on?

·
Registered
567 Posts
The problem is if you leave the cover off it will expose the timing belt to the elements, oil, maybe coolant. Along with anything else that could spray, leak or splash on it. All that will help to degrade the belt faster than normal. And its just not fun if that belt breaks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats all true....

the powersteering pump is gone, so all i have to remove is the coolant hose hookup to the thermostat.....and i just dont want to do that now that ive completely just done all that...

im going to put it off till next week...any longer, i would agree with you guys...luckily nothing leaks so thats not going to be a problem!

thanks guys....

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I've been running around for about 1 year with no front timing cover on. My only problem has been the power steering bracket ripping into my timing belt. Other than that I've seen no increased wear. You should be fine for one week if you stay away from debris/ gravel.

·
Registered
540 Posts
IT WAS DESIGNED WITH THE COVER TO BE USED, THERE IS A REASON 4 IT 2 B THERE USE IT AND U WONT HAVE 2 WORRY ABOUT ANY MISHAPS

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all those honda guys run around with them off too, i just thought about that...or are those chains?

·
Registered
793 Posts
You'll be fine, It doesn't matter you can have all of the covers off you just have to keep an eye on the belt and teeth... not only the Honda's but the guys with the old school cars...350 chevys and what not.. you'll be fine but I also agree with red just remove that 14mm bolt and you should be able to get that piping out of the way and get that cover back on if your worried about it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Better to be safe than to be sorry...The last thing you need is for an "unexpected" accident to occur with the timing chain...I dunno IMHO I would put the thing on because it dosn't take long at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.