ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my hands that is, just a thought im wondering that with prolonged use of acetone in my gas will the contacts be cleaned on the sender unit in the tank resulting in correct gas tank readings.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wouldnt that be nice. Mine reads about 3 gallons less than i actually have. Filled up at the pump on what i thought was totally empty the other day only to have it fill to 15.4gallons. I really dont need to replace it since i know what's going on, but it would be a cool byproduct.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I suppose that is theoretically possible!

I would take the plunge and replace it anyway. The original design for the Fuel Sending Unit was a poor one and the replacement that you can purchase has a completely different design (using rocker arms instead of a sensor).

It's nice to have a working gas gauge again! Not critical...but comfortable!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
stu, did you get a real nissan sender unit or something from BAP or NAPA. mines off too and I wanna replace it but can't bring myself to spend the money on it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Theoretically, yes

practically probably not.

Acetone is one of the best cleaning agents you can find, but I doubt it will help you fuel sensor. From looking at my old unit when I replaced it, the floats seemed to be the issue on mine.

Its been a few years, but if memory serves the replacement unit was about $100? It was one of the first things I replaced when I bought the car. Personally, it is money well spent. Why guess about your fuel level?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just fill up again when I get to 1/4 tank and don't chace it

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
phxz31 - SORRY - I completely forgot about this thread. I picked my unit up from courtesynissan.com and it was something like $75 to my door. I was very pleased with the part and I believe it is considered OEM Nissan although I didn't get it from an actual dealer.

It has been wonderful to have!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.