ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If either of you have a stripped block I would apreciate any info you could give me about the interchangability of certain parts.I have a motor planned using the L28D block.If you search in the archives under L28D my post with more details on the actual specs of the motor should still be there.The main things I'm wondering about are the oil pan(will a L24/L28 pan fit) where the oil pick up pad is on the block(someone said it's backwards of a L24/L28)and if a longer L20b front cover will work(maybe you still have a taller gasket set you could try).Someone left a post about seeing this done by rebello here's the list of mods he gave.
Sloted motor mounts for hood clearence
Head bolt holes reamed to L28D size
Oil pan mods along with a new pickup tube
L20b front cover and timming chain set
I tryed searching Zhybrid for the post you mentioned about converting a L28D to a gas motor but i can't seem to find it .Any info would be apreciated

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
I Don't know...

Of anyone who's actually, physically DONE it! There was talk over on HybridZ about advantages, but I know of nobody who's taken the job through to the end.
You can make anything fit anything, just how much you want to pay/work at it-vs-power payback.
I would think loser motor moounts would be in order, as the block is a taller deck. That means some driveline readjustment, too. These are straightforward things, though---and they all are overcome with some thinking as they arise.
The rationalle about the Taller deck on the Nissan block is the same as for the Chevy Small-Block. It's a relatively compact design, and you can't really stroke the thing big unless you get a taller deck to allow some long rods. Long rods keep some separation on your ring stack on the piston, and that's a good thing.
Oil pump pickup relocation is the same as for a normal front-sump Nissan Motor, same with the dipstick hole. The oil pan surely looked identical to me when I had it off, but no big deal having to make a backup girdle with a different bolt pattern and using studs in the bottom of hte block wiht a 1/4" sandwich plate.
No biggies, Chevy converted a Gas engine to diesel, no reason you can't go the other way...
Take good notes and photos!

· Registered
241 Posts
I talked to a guy..

who claimed to have done it at a datsun place in Edmonton. I talked to him twice, the first time I could tell he was reeely buisy and he brushed me off, the second time he sat and talked with me for half an hour on exactly what to do with my head now that I whacked .080 off, and we discussed other head options If ya catch him at a good time, he might go through it with you. The place is called Sumarus auto - (780) 438-2638 Good luck, and like Tony said, let us know how it's done!

Dylan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.