ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 83 280zx turbo 2seater parts car, and my driver is a 82 280zx n/a 2+2. Is it worth swapping engines? And if so how much work are we talking? do i have to change my trans, diff, fuel system, ecu ect? Or should i just forget about my little pipe dream?

·
Registered
529 Posts
This is one of those questions that only you can answer, however I will offer my opinion.

I have always been a fan of the L28ET (Turbo). If I were you and had some time on my hands, I would do it. Bang for your buck, you will get more power from the turbo motor. It is also easy to upgrade.

As far as how much work would it be? Well, you would need to swap the motor and its wiring harness and controls at the very least. I don't know what state you are in and it's smog laws, but here in California, you would need to leave all of the emmission controls of the turbo motor in tact when you put it into the 2+2.

I would also recomend swapping the trans if both cars are autos. If not, keep the na 5-speed. It will handle the power and many people like the way it shifts as opposed the the T5. As far as the diff, you will need to see if your 2+2 has an R180 or R200. If it's an R180, then I would swap to the R200, however, this is not that important if you are going to make tons of hp and drag race the car. The stock 280ZXT R200 is a 3.55 ratio. Your stock 2+2 diff could be a 3.7 or 3.9 and that would also make it a little quicker.

Anyway, I would do it if I were you. However, this is not a weekend job. If the 2+2 is your daily driver, you may need to rent, borrow, or buy another car while you do the swap. Realistically, you could probably do it in 4 days if you hustle and know what you're doing.

If you do decide to do it, I have notes on the wiring for putting the turbo engine harness into the na. Email me for more info. [email protected].

Good luck!!!

Ian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.