ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! i have a 74 260z with the mickey mouse flat top carbs that wont pass smog because they are so horable. i cant make up my mind to strip all the neat parts and junk the body and one day find a 240z to put the running gear in. i have some round top su carbs i could use then i wont have to smog it. the body isnt bad at all its just the 74 lemon. anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I just got a 74 yesterday for free, in okay shape. I will not consider parting it and junking the body. One day these are going to be VERY rare, not worth a ton of money probably, but not many around. I say keep it, switch the carbs to the round tops, have a ball in the car. They are easy to work on, reliable, and great to drive. I have three others besides the 74, and I do not even consider parting any of them.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> Hey! i have a 74 260z with the mickey mouse
> flat top carbs that wont pass smog because
> they are so horable. i cant make up my mind
> to strip all the neat parts and junk the
> body and one day find a 240z to put the
> running gear in. i have some round top su
> carbs i could use then i wont have to smog
> it. the body isnt bad at all its just the 74
> lemon. anybody got any ideas?
We also got in a 74 260z yesterday with 70,000 miles, that was sitting for 7 years. After letting the oil pressure build up, and circulate we fired it up, and it ran perfect other that dealing with a few cracked fuel lines.
I am not going to part it out, but experiment with brakes, suspension, and drivetrain.
There are plenty of ways to deal with your carbs, but I don't know the emmission laws where you are located, so I shouldn't advise you on that.
This one will get the canon intake, and tripple webers. In Oregon, 1974 is the last year that doesn't have to pass emmisions test, so this is a great year car to modify. Good luck, Joe

·
Registered
399 Posts
> Hey! i have a 74 260z with the mickey mouse
> flat top carbs that wont pass smog because
> they are so horable. i cant make up my mind
> to strip all the neat parts and junk the
> body and one day find a 240z to put the
> running gear in. i have some round top su
> carbs i could use then i wont have to smog
> it. the body isnt bad at all its just the 74
> lemon. anybody got any ideas?
I have an early 74 with skinny bumpers. Mine is rust free, bumpers compete, everything shiny, unrestored. I lOVE the body. It is extremely rare to find one in the condition mine is in. The previous owner swap the flat tops, for 72 SU's. They run great. As for the rest of the drivetrain, I think it SUUCCKKKSSS!!!!. I plan to pull the engine, tranny, and rear end and store them in the garage for posterity. Then, I plan to build a new high output street motor based on the 1981-83 F54 block, swap in R200, 3.90 differential, 5 speed, headers, 2.5 exhaust, etc., etc. I want to end up with a total stock looking 260 that kicks AAASSS.

BOTTOM LINE: Unless the body is rust free and you have restorable bumpers, junk the whole deal. If body good, do what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> I have an early 74 with skinny
> bumpers. Mine is rust free, bumpers compete,
> everything shiny, unrestored. I lOVE the
> body. It is extremely rare to find one in
> the condition mine is in. The previous owner
> swap the flat tops, for 72 SU's. They run
> great. As for the rest of the drivetrain, I
> think it SUUCCKKKSSS!!!!. I plan to pull the
> engine, tranny, and rear end and store them
> in the garage for posterity. Then, I plan to
> build a new high output street motor based
> on the 1981-83 F54 block, swap in R200, 3.90
> differential, 5 speed, headers, 2.5 exhaust,
> etc., etc. I want to end up with a total
> stock looking 260 that kicks AAASSS.

> BOTTOM LINE: Unless the body is rust free
> and you have restorable bumpers, junk the
> whole deal. If body good, do what I'm going
> to do.

I have a late 74' 260 z, with flat tops, that wouldn't pass Texas emissions. I basically went in and did a tuneup, changed plugs, oil, leaned the carbs out and it passed on the high end but still failed on the low end at idle. I had 3 months to go to January, when the car became 25 years old and Texas doesn't require smog testing on cars 25 years or older. So I waited. If you can't wait, the generall consensus is that the round tops will get you the performance and emissions test you need and it is pretty simple to do.

Good Luck

·
Registered
399 Posts
> I have a late 74' 260 z, with flat tops,
> that wouldn't pass Texas emissions. I
> basically went in and did a tuneup, changed
> plugs, oil, leaned the carbs out and it
> passed on the high end but still failed on
> the low end at idle. I had 3 months to go to
> January, when the car became 25 years old
> and Texas doesn't require smog testing on
> cars 25 years or older. So I waited. If you
> can't wait, the generall consensus is that
> the round tops will get you the performance
> and emissions test you need and it is pretty
> simple to do.

> Good Luck
I love my round tops. Fortunately, here is Florida, 1974 is the last year for which no emission testing is required. So,,,, you can do whatever you want. Eventually, I am going to re-jet the carbs and add headers and a 2.5 exhaust. Unless the law changes, I am cool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.