ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if the smog exemption years actually go up every year or not? I have a 1974 260Z, and I missed the cut off by one year. Will the cars that will be exempt go up one year after the new year???

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
> Does anybody know if the smog exemption
> years actually go up every year or not? I
> have a 1974 260Z, and I missed the cut off
> by one year. Will the cars that will be
> exempt go up one year after the new year???

I asked DMV that same question last week. The DMV rep said the decision is made each year, and she wouldn't predict what next year's decision will be. I don't think you'll get a correct answer to your question (though you'll get many opinions), and the best (closest) answer you'll get is by calling DMV yourself. You might want to brows their web site also, there's a link on it to their smog rules. Good luck....

·
Registered
804 Posts

I don't know where you are, but here in Texas I tried to get my '74 260Z inspected this month and the Texaco said that it would be exempt next year. I'm going to wait until new years because when we put it on the machine it failed big time. I just now got it running good and I'm not going to mess with these **** duals again until I replace them. Just another half a month and I can drive it legally. Hope it helps. Z ya

·
Registered
482 Posts
The laws, as I understand it.

Well, if you're talking about CA smog laws, then this is what I know. As of last year, all cars 1973 and older are exempt from INSPECTION only. This does not mean you can rip all the smog stuff off and be legal. If you were pulled over, and had no smog pump,EGR, etc... you could be given a ticket for 'tampering with smog equipment'. But, the good thing is that if you DON'T get pulled over and they don't check your engine, then you can put all the crap on there you want.

Now, in regards to when your car will be exempt. When they wrote the law, it changed the old standard of exempt status from 1965 and older to 1973 and older. At this time, they also decided that they would not add any more years to the exempt status for 5 years, which turns out to be 2002. Then every year after, another year will become exempt. i.e. 2002 1974 exempt, 2003 1975 exempt, etc.....Basically, this law keeps 25 years worth of the newest cars in smog check. Since, after surveys, they found that most cars on the road are 15 years old or newer. So, for the small percentage of us that drive 'vintage' autos, we are considered a small group, and not worth the effort to regulate us. Sounds good to me, finally some sense in government. How much do they think that stupid smog pump actually helped anyway??

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

Ben,
Don't know where you live. Texas has law similar to CA. Once a car is 25 years old, (In the case of your '74 260Z that would be Jan. 1, 1999 in Texas), a vehicle is no longer subject to the tailpipe test. It is exempted from emmission regulations but still required to have brakes, lights, horn, etc. inspected annually. That way the State can still collect but the collector lobby doesn't drive them nuts.
Phantom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.