ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I want to thank everyone for their help and advice on my 280. She is alive and breathing well(finally). This car cost me $250 about 6 months ago. Quite a steal I think. The body is straight as a board, a/c blows cold, and interior is immaculate, and has 90k on the clock. The car needs wheel bearings all the around(they were in the glove box), and a brake overhaul, a new exhaust system, a tune up and license and inspection. When I picked up this car it had been sitting in a garage for 2 years. Now that it is all mine, and running, I don't know if I should sell it or fix it up. Please help in my decision for this is my first zcar.

·
Registered
96 Posts
> First I want to thank everyone for their
> help and advice on my 280. She is alive and
> breathing well(finally). This car cost me
> $250 about 6 months ago. Quite a steal I
> think. The body is straight as a board, a/c
> blows cold, and interior is immaculate, and
> has 90k on the clock. The car needs wheel
> bearings all the around(they were in the
> glove box), and a brake overhaul, a new
> exhaust system, a tune up and license and
> inspection. When I picked up this car it had
> been sitting in a garage for 2 years. Now
> that it is all mine, and running, I don't
> know if I should sell it or fix it up.
> Please help in my decision for this is my
> first zcar.

Sounds like you've got a nice one.

If this is strictly a business venture, you should repair the basics and get rid of it as fast as you can. Whatever you do, don't drive it more than a few miles; just enough to check out the mechanicals.

Else beware of the adreneline pleasure rush of driving a solid Z. If you put many miles in you'll surely be smitten with the same curse that the rest of us have contracted over time.

Even worse is driving and tinkering for hours to make it just....so. It will come to have a high garage factor quotient. The Garage Factor is the ability for a car to pull you into the garage for no other reason than to walk around the car and admire it. For example a Toyota Tercell has a very low quotient. The lines of the classic Z, however, become a work of art in a square garage.... hmm....should you sell it????

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
> first zcar.

KEEP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One biased opinion

Ken

·
Registered
996 Posts
hey that's real great....

my 78 280 is 163K on the dial
the body was pretty rusted, but the a/c was cool and the heater needed a bit of work
the head gasket blown and piston rings shot and welll the list goes on....

but i've had it for 6 months and am on a low budget and have fixed most of those(except the shot rings) in all i'd say you've got a pretty good starter(this is also my first Z) and well i have also done a few other things that would take too long to mention

all in all i'd say you have a good car and if you were to fix it up.... it's a great car to have.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only Your Gut Can Answer

> first zcar.

For what it's worth, here's my opinion. If you admire the look and feel of the Z, and when you look at it you gain an increasing respect for it, then you should keep it and fix it up. If you don't have an emotional attachment to it, you should do the minimum to make it driveable and sell it for a considerable profit.

I'm in a similar fix with my 78 280, but I got bit by the bug and I can't let go of it. The more I work on it the more I like it. I've had it since Thanksgiving, and the thing still isn't on the road (won't pass smog, still have to tinker with it). I thought the $800 I paid was a good price, but the $250 you paid was a gift from heaven.

The repairs you talk about are inexpensive, and if you're emotionally attached to the car you'll do the work yourself (except the exhaust) just to make sure it's done right. And the more time you invest, the more you'll like the car.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Heh-Heh Garage factor!

> Sounds like you've got a nice one.

> If this is strictly a business venture, you
> should repair the basics and get rid of it
> as fast as you can. Whatever you do, don't
> drive it more than a few miles; just enough
> to check out the mechanicals.

> Else beware of the adreneline pleasure rush
> of driving a solid Z. If you put many miles
> in you'll surely be smitten with the same
> curse that the rest of us have contracted
> over time.

> Even worse is driving and tinkering for
> hours to make it just....so. It will come to
> have a high garage factor
> quotient. The Garage Factor is
> the ability for a car to pull you into the
> garage for no other reason than to walk
> around the car and admire it. For example a
> Toyota Tercell has a very low quotient. The
> lines of the classic Z, however, become a
> work of art in a square garage....
> hmm....should you sell it????

I'll have to inform my wife of the garage factor. She catches me all the time sitting out front looking at my Z. What you thinking about? Them new tires.... or what ever I'm thinking about at the time. They just don't understand, but they tolerate it, bless their little hearts.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've entered the z zone

After pricing an exhaust and various other needed parts, I have come up with a decision. I realized that I had the garage factor a long time ago just didn't know it. I figure even with $700 worth of bs parts to make it a streetable daily driver, I'll still be under a thousand bucks. You can't beat that!

I have built many projects in the past 5 years(I'm only 21), everything from toyota 4x4s to chevy camaro, but had no idea of the parts availability of these cars until lately. Once again thanks for all the help guys, I am sure you'll here from me as I take on the z quest. I'll share any new info I might find on this site. JN > First I want to thank everyone for their
> first zcar.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've entered the z zone

After pricing an exhaust and various other needed parts, I have come up with a decision. I realized that I had the garage factor a long time ago just didn't know it. I figure even with $700 worth of bs parts to make it a streetable daily driver, I'll still be under a thousand bucks. You can't beat that!

I have built many projects in the past 5 years(I'm only 21), everything from toyota 4x4s to a chevy camaro, but had no idea of the parts availability of these cars until lately. Once again thanks for all the help guys, I am sure you'll here from me as I take on the z quest. I'll share any new info I might find on this site. JN > First I want to thank everyone for their
> first zcar.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very long, useless answer

I don't think there can possibly be a way to tell you which answer is right for you. But, in my own opinion I could never get rid of my Z. I have had some pretty good offers from the guys I work with, but, no amount of money could ever make me part with it - well, almost no amount. If you bought it with the intention of selling it - do it soon, because the longer you keep it around the more you will become attatched to it - kind of like a stray pet. If you bought the car because it captured you heart then keep it. If it were any other car besides a Z I would say get rid of it just because it had become a question in your mind as to keep it or not. If it were an RX7 I would say: take it to a crowded parking lot and set it on fire. You have what sounds to be a great Z (aren't they all) and maybe you should even consider the fact that Nissan may not be around too much longer, and you already own a running Z, why sell it and end up having to buy a fixer upper in the future, when all you can find is rebuilt, and equivelent parts to Nissan's. The funny thing is that in most cases it seems that the first Z model you own becomes you favorite. I have an 83ZX Turbo, definately not the best performing thing on the road, but I can't imagine owning anything else in its place. Even after getting an opportunity to test drive a 300ZX Twin Turbo (fastest thing I've ever been in) we took the car back into the dealership, I hopped back into my Z and felt at home (mostly because I hate having all that button crap on the steering wheel). Anyway,,,, the point is (if there is one) that only you can know if you want to keep this Z or not - sounds like a silly psychiatrist answer.
Well do what YOU feel is right.
Dave

·
Registered
189 Posts
> first zcar.
The question you have to answer for yourself is do you really want the car and make the effort to bring it back to a near new condition. I purchased a '77 280Z a couple of years ago and am currently getting ready to overhaul the suspension, steering and brake systems. I have ordered about $1,200.00 in parts to accomplish the entire project at one time. A total tune-up including fuel pump, filter, injectors, sensors, EGR, wires, distributor cap, regulator, and more ran me about $1,000.00 in parts and did most of the work myself. It is your call so far it seems like you don't have a lot into the car and it is in pretty good shape already. The amount of money and time you want to spend is your only question.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
the only reason I would sale that car is to buy a 240Z or a 280ZXT for the turbo but you can always add that to your 280Z
I think you should keep it my car is not on the road yet and its not even running right now but if I go out and sit in it oh boy

Love...

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
399 Posts
> first zcar.
If the body is rust free, you got a great deal. The only reason to sell would be to go for a clean, rust free 240Z instead. However, unless you get very lucky, you won't get a rust free 240Z for much less than $2000-$4000, at best. The investment in fixing up a 240 is the same as for a 280, but the end result is a more valuable, collectable car. But 280s are great, and it sounds like you have a clean one, so I would say, have fun, fix it up, just don't go as hog wild on what you spend as you would if you had a 240.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Garage Factor.. That is what I have.. I go out at night to look at my 78 sitting in the garage. Just sort of look and smile a bit.. Gee Josh, I would like to have two of them to look at.. Fast profit maybe a grand.. But only to me.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.