Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85, N/a im down to the heads......

I've decided to remove the engine, but should i bring the transmission along for the ride? Some say its easier to align when putting the new engine, i've done it on GM v8's before and not have to....

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated...

So i guess, im offically starting my build.......

·
Registered
353 Posts
if you havethe heads out then you have the exhaust manifolds out and the rest of the fuel injection system , withoutthe heads on the block it is extremely easy to get to the top bolts of the tranny (thats the hardest part when the engine is intact). if you are going to assemble the engine while its out side of the engine bay then ity might be better to get the trany out too and put it all back in as one . alining the tranny with the block is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
i had an idea that why should th engine even have to come out? if you have the heads removed and engine mounts unbolted you could probly have the engine raised enough and secured to remove the eump and wallah you have access to the pistons.

why the f**k remove the whole engine when you can make ya life simple
just a thought

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ive done it both ways. Just a matter of how much stuff you take off before hand...or...how high you can lift the car with your jack. Getting the tranny out from under the car requires quite a bit of lift.

If you take it out with or put it in with the engine remove the shifter. This will require you to **** the engine and tranny down towards the rear of the car but is pretty easy to do really. Careful of the oil pan in the process. And remove the fan if you still have it.

Getting the trans in place and bolted separately isn't too bad. 2 person job but should only take about 30min including the bitching and cussing that comes with the job. Beer could add some time of course. One guy to handle the jack and one to move the trans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.